Koodo Community
Question

INTERNATIONAL ROAMING WITHOUT LEFT OF CANADA

Koodo appears to stand alone in not offering and international roaming bundle. The worst part is being charged 60¢ for incoming SMS. I can choose to not answer my phone, but I can't prevent an SMS from bring received. So how about a bundle of roaming services, or at least do the right thing and stop charging for receiving text while roaming? It simply is not fair. I could really us a roaming bundle next month and it may be the tipping point that sees me move to another carrier. That would be a shame, because I have never been happier with a mobile phone provider. Koodo has been the best carrier i have ever used.

10 replies

I LIVE IN SARNIA AND I DONT TRAVEL OR VISITI THE USA. BUT I RECEIVE THE INTERNATIONAL ROAMING MESSAGE FROM KODO
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The worst part is being charged 60¢ for incoming SMS

You sure about that bud? Here's what Koodo site says

All incoming texts are free, and outgoing texts to anywhere in the world are included. Premium messages and subscription messages aren't included - you'll be charged a pay-per-use roaming rate for these.

Also, please 2x check the information before ranting :

With Easy Roam®️, you can use your existing phone plan when you travel abroad. It only costs $8/day in the U.S. and $12/day in 100+ international destinations. You're only charged for the days you use your monthly plan's minutes, data or texts.

See here : https://www.koodomobile.com/easyroam
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Incoming text is always free, whether you are roaming or not.

Do you have snapshot of the bill where it showed you you were charge $0.6 for 1 message? (delete all personal information before posting pls)
I dont leave of Canada , I live in SARNIA CANADA and I dont send any call just I receive a message . I want block the international roaming, I dont want use.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
sanagust wrote:

I dont leave of Canada , I live in SARNIA CANADA and I dont send any call just I receive a message . I want block the international roaming, I dont want use.

You could go into your self service, remove the international roaming add-on from there.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You get the roaming messages since you live on the Canada/US border.
Just go into your phone settings and go to your network settings, mobile networks, and network operators. Now change it from Automatic to Koodo. Note that it will take a few minutes for your phone to search for networks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Make sure to remove international voice roaming and international data roaming as well as easy roam. If you want to ensure that you don't accidentally connect to American networks, go into your phone's network settings, select manual network, or search networks, and select Koodo so it will not connect to another network so long as Koodo is available
Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Make sure to remove international voice roaming and international data roaming as well as easy roam. If you want to ensure that you don't accidentally connect to American networks, go into your phone's network settings, select manual network, or search networks, and select Koodo so it will not connect to another network so long as Koodo is available

To be clear: removing the international roaming add ons will prevent the phone from roaming while overseas. It will not prevent it from connecting to a US network.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@sanagust If you want to completely prevent accidental connection to US towers while in Canada you could switch your phone network connection from 'automatic' to 'manual'. Under Cellular Service on your phone you should have network selection. That is where you could adjust. Just remember to turn it to automatic when you do leave Canada for a holiday.