Koodo Community

International Roaming Blocked by Default --- Plan Ahead

• 29 December 2014
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Koodo has a wide variety of optional temporary roaming add-ons for monthly customers on a trip. These are independent of your billing date and start the day of your trip. You pick the duration. Activate them by visiting m.koodoroam.com from your Koodo phone — not widely reported — doesn’t work from computer browser or by texting codes to 4545. Check the “coverage and travelling” section of the self-serve web site. Has to be done before you leave, unless you really insist on paying long distance to do it. 1-866-995-6636 / 1-647-788-4337 The screen shot below is fairly typical. Although I have not found a specific statement on the Koodo web site, I would gather that anyone travelling outside Canada and the US has this automatic roaming feature blocked by default. I have participated in a number of discussions recently where subscribers visiting Europe or the Caribbean had no network access whatsoever until they contacted Koodo. This makes good sense because it keeps granny from accidentally running up a bill if she’s had a glass of wine too many on the cruise ship and decides to call the grandchildren at $7 a minute. So if you are visiting Cuba via Belgium and can’t get any signal at all on your phone, don’t be surprised unless you have made arrangements to be “unblocked” ahead of time.

11 replies

Userlevel 6
thanks for posting this!
Hey there BobTheElectrician,

Thanks for the post. Just wanted to clear up a couple points you made:

-You can add a roaming add-on at any point while you are travelling, for free, by texting "SAVE" to 4545 or calling (toll-free) *611. If you have access to WiFi, you could also add them while your travelling via m.koodoroam.com or Self Serve.

-You're correct - in order to prevent unwanted, potentially high roaming charges on a customer's account, Koodo does not allow customers to roam internationally by default. However, if a customer decides they want to use their phone while travelling internationally, they can call *611 toll free to have their phone work. As listed out in the steps on koodomobile.com/travelling under "travelling outside these locations", a customer can also add the appropriate international add-ons before travelling to make sure their phone will work while they are away.

Hope that clears things up. We'll have a look over our help sections to make sure this is clearer in the future.

Alex
Thanks, Alex and Bob So just so I am clear, I can (and did) go to selfserve and added the texting plan to my account that way. Do I still need to call *611 to activate? Thanks, Jane
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Thanks, Alex and Bob So just so I am clear, I can (and did) go to selfserve and added the textin...AFAIK, you done exactly the right thing, and we have it here on public record. Your adding the plan is self-activating. If there's a glitch, it seems that *611 works world-wide like *911 even if you have "no service".
Thanks, Alex and Bob So just so I am clear, I can (and did) go to selfserve and added the textin...Hey Jane,

If you added the roaming add-on on Self Serve, there is no need to call in - it activates automatically.

Enjoy your trip!
Thanks, Alex and Bob So just so I am clear, I can (and did) go to selfserve and added the textin...I added roaming via self serve while overseas and I'm still getting no service after 24hours. What's going on???
Userlevel 5
Thanks, Alex and Bob So just so I am clear, I can (and did) go to selfserve and added the textin...Hi Naarah! Is it working now? Try to turn off your device for a few seconds and turn it back on again.
Thanks, Alex and Bob So just so I am clear, I can (and did) go to selfserve and added the textin...No it still isn't working.
Userlevel 5
Thanks, Alex and Bob So just so I am clear, I can (and did) go to selfserve and added the textin...Let's try to manually search for a network. What kind of phone do you have?
If you have activated international roaming by adding a plan, does it revert your service to non-roaming on expiry of the plan?
If you have activated international roaming by adding a plan, does it revert your service to non-...Yes, this applies for our Mexico and Caribbean add-ons.