Koodo Community
Solved

international long distance

• 27 September 2021
  • 11 replies

Wondering about the 500minute long distance add on plan that includes Taiwan.  Does it include calling to both land line and cell phone numbers ? 

icon

Best answer by Dennis 27 September 2021, 03:19

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes. If you have a long distance add-on that includes Taiwan, it should include any cell or landline Taiwan number 

Yes. If you have a long distance add-on that includes Taiwan, it should include any cell or landline Taiwan number 

Thank you Dennis 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Keep in mind you will not get any warnings about overages. You will have to keep track of how many minutes you call for in order to not go over.

why was I charged long distance to a woman who was in the same building as I was

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Are you sure you got charged long distance?

I am...her phone is from the usa but she lived in my building and was in this building when I called her

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So if it's an American number, it doesn't matter if she's in Canada. That's why you got charged for making an international call.

Thank you for your reply, but that is ridiculous. what is the point of digital tech if I call someone 100 yards away and get charged long distance. they used to use that line when i was charged for roaming when i was near the border...(in the 90’s, analog service). now it seems to me its just money grab...but I appreciate the response

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Because it doesnt base your location so much as it bases what network you're connected to. It doesn't first determine if the person is in country or not. You can actually call someone with a Canadian number who's in another country and you won't be charged as if it's an international call. That's the flip side to this setup. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Well that's how it works. Their phone uses a US network therefore in order to call them you would call a US number no matter where they are 

Userlevel 4

Thank you for your reply, but that is ridiculous. what is the point of digital tech if I call someone 100 yards away and get charged long distance. they used to use that line when i was charged for roaming when i was near the border...(in the 90’s, analog service). now it seems to me its just money grab...but I appreciate the response

Your phone still had to complete a call to a phone number handled by a switch in the USA. You pay long distance to make that call.

Then, their carrier routes that call to wherever the mobile happens to be, even in Canada, and any costs associated with that leg of the call are the responsibility the recipient.

So the caller (you) needs to ensure that your plan covers calling a USA phone number. The recipient needs to ensure their plan covers receiving a call while away from their home area.