Koodo Community
Question

International free texting with wifi?

• 9 May 2019
  • 5 replies

Can I text for free from anywhere when traveling by using wifi, and not need roaming add-ons? My monthly plan includes unlimited SMS texts.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Texting (sms) does not use wifi. It uses the cellular network. So texting (sms) while outside of canada will incur roaming charges (easy roam or pay per use roaming - assuming you are on a postpaid plan).

Note that receiving texts is free.

EDIT: using imessage uses data or wifi. As long as you have the send as sms option off and data disabled, you can send imessages via wifi
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

EDIT: using imessage uses data or wifi. As long as you have the send as sms option off and data disabled, you can send imessages via wifi

But only to other iphones.
Thanks - that's very clear. I will be traveling alone and unlikely to need more than a couple of texts in a day, so the $12 international roaming is pricey for just that. Free wifi at hotels and airports though.

So do I have to delete my International Roaming add-on before I leave Canada to use pay-per-use texting or data?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Thanks - that's very clear. I will be traveling alone and unlikely to need more than a couple of texts in a day, so the $12 international roaming is pricey for just that. Free wifi at hotels and airports though.

So do I have to delete my International Roaming add-on before I leave Canada to use pay-per-use texting or data?

No, you'd need to remove the easy roam add on. The international voice roaming is required for your phone to connect to an overseas network.
Really appreciate having such clarity about that. Thanks!