Koodo Community

Community

International Data Roaming Plans

Dear Koodo team, I realise you probably don't get this request often because your services don't tend to cater to business users, but you really should create international data roaming plans! Please. Even for leisure travellers, this is an option that's nice to have. I'd hate for business users to jump ship and revert back to the likes of Rogers or Bell just because you guys don't have international data roaming plans... And that's really the only downside to you guys right now... Thank you for your consideration.

11 replies

Userlevel 6
When you say international do you mean the US or overseas destinations? Maybe it's just me but nowadays travel long with my unlocked phone, I just pick up a SIM card wherever I land. A lot less expensive solution. Yes, my number is going to be different for the time being, but that's not that big of a deal. Is this something you ever considered?
Read about how to use your phone internationally here: http://help.koodomobile.com/coverage-long-distance-and-travelling/travelling
Userlevel 6
Jessica Prytulka wrote:

Read about how to use your phone internationally here: http://help.koodomobile.com/coverage-long-...

I'm pretty sure she knows how to use her phone, she is looking for a break on the current prices.
Yes, thank you both. I do know how to use my phone perfectly well. As well as the option to pick-up a local data-enable SIM, IF and when that's an option. That's not an option in every region, though, (and by 'international', I do mean outside of the US) and not ideal for business travellers who need to ensure they remain reachable on their business numbers. The alternative is to rent a local smartphone, but also not ideal as you need to make time to pick those up and return them...and you also send up carrying around far too many phones than you care to. International data roaming plans seem par for the course these days, that's all I'm saying. And I do know that in Koodo's case, it's not something it has pursued because the bulk of its customers are non-business users, but that's a great market to potentially tap into...
Userlevel 2
Tiana Kartadinata wrote:

Yes, thank you both. I do know how to use my phone perfectly well. As well as the option to pick-...

+1 every other carrier in this country seems to 'get it' and offer these services. Unfortunately, Koodo seems to always be last when it comes to adopting services and features.
Userlevel 2
Tiana Kartadinata wrote:

Yes, thank you both. I do know how to use my phone perfectly well. As well as the option to pick-...

Or Koodo sees no reason to offer such a service, since they are a "discount" brand.
Userlevel 2
Tiana Kartadinata wrote:

Are they a discount brand though? If Koodo is providing less services, at a lower cost, then the received "value" is the same. If they offered the same services as the big guys at a cheaper price, then the 'discount' label would be appropriate, but offering less for cheaper is more "no frills" then 'discount' imo...
Userlevel 2
None of the carriers in this country offer reasonable data roaming. They are ridiculously expensive (eg: $2 per MB, really?!?). It is probably not worth Koodo's time (or any other carrier's time) to negotiate with every possible national carrier in the world on preferential roaming rates and integrate their usage and billing systems for a relatively small subset of customers. If you really want data when abroad, I would suggest using an alternative who specializes in such things. I used keepgo.com for international travel and Roam Mobility for travel to the US. Both do not require you to pick up a local SIM in the destination country because they will mail you the SIM chip to your home address before you travel so you'll have access as soon as you arrive. Rates are reasonable and definitely less expensive than what I've seen with any Canadian provider.
Thanks very much, quasarito. I still haven't found such services offering great rates for Japan, though (where I often travel to on business and often get dinged for roaming when my BlackBerry automatically turns the data roaming service 'ON' every time I need to do a battery pull to unfreeze the darn thing!).
I hear ya. I just got dinged $299 for $29 MB!
Userlevel 2
Bell just cut their US roaming rates and bundle prices. Koodo US Roaming Bundle: $35 400 incoming/outgoing texts, 40 U.S. minutes 40MB U.S. data Bell US Roaming Bundle: $25 Unlimited Incomming Texts 200 Sent Texts 50 US Mins 50MB Data Bell also now has $20 addons that can be applied individually. For $20 you can add your choice of 100MB of data, 100 Voice Mins, or Unlimited text messages over a 30 day period.