Koodo Community
Solved

Internation Calling and texting US and Canada

• 18 October 2018
  • 3 replies

Travelling to the US next week for a few weeks (Late to ask this) I was wondering if there is a way for me to have the ability to call/text back home without charges? My current plan is basically the opposite of what I need. Free calling and text from anywhere whenever I'm home in Canada.
icon

Best answer by BobTheElectrician 18 October 2018, 12:58

Pay per use for texting is $5 for the first one sent, then the next 99 are free till your billing date. Then it's rinse and repeat. Incoming texts are free.

Incoming calls that fall thru to voicemail are free. If you can resist the temptation to answer and use a VoIP app to return calls when in wifi range, you can probably come in considerably under the daily Easy roam rate if $$$ is your main consideration and not convenience.
View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
No there is not. You have the option of easy roam but that's 8 dollars a day up to 100 dollars per billing cycle. Otherwise you can get a local prepaid sim card for data and you can use Fongo or skype or any other voip to call via WiFi or data back to Canada if needed.
Badge +4
Travelling to the US next week for a few weeks (Late to ask this) I was wondering if there is a way for me to have the ability to call/text back home without charges?
If you can be connected to wifi you can use Whatsapp and text or call through that app. It uses data so if you can be connected to wifi it will be free. The other party also needs to have this app installed on their phone if you want to use it. It's just one option.

https://www.whatsapp.com/
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Pay per use for texting is $5 for the first one sent, then the next 99 are free till your billing date. Then it's rinse and repeat. Incoming texts are free.

Incoming calls that fall thru to voicemail are free. If you can resist the temptation to answer and use a VoIP app to return calls when in wifi range, you can probably come in considerably under the daily Easy roam rate if $$$ is your main consideration and not convenience.