Koodo Community

Community

Increase the Tab from -150 up to +150 to -200 up to +200

Userlevel 6
I think this would draw in more people and we can make it more affordable for people to buy out high-end phones.

25 replies

I agree the tab should be increased at least a bit. Maybe even up to - 300 and keep the +150 or +200? With the cost of all the new phones coming out most are still $300+ after the tab. Although if they did increase the tab I hope they would also increase the amount per month going towards it maybe to %15? This would make a huge difference especially because people already complain how long it takes to pay the tab off now.
Userlevel 1
Ness wrote:

I agree the tab should be increased at least a bit. Maybe even up to - 300 and keep the +150 or +...

Increasing Tabs to more than 150$ is not good idea, why? because you can still find phones for 150$, if you decide to buy that phone, it's not fair to start with Tab of -200$ for a phone that costs only 150$!
I agree that the tab should be increased. Love the phones that are coming out but with the price of them being $500+ it is not always easy to get an upgrade or new phone when you still have to pay an additional $300. Also think that there should be monies given when you trade in your phone.
Userlevel 4
This has been brought up before and the result is that the negative tab should NOT be made larger due to the fact that it will take longer to get into the positive tab balance. On the other hand, I do agree with increasing the positive tab balance. @Gabrielle - Koodo does have a trade in program when you upgrade. Bring in your phone when you want to upgrade and the stores will determine the trade in value to put towards a new phone or accessories. No actual cash is given.
Userlevel 1
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

This has been brought up before and the result is that the negative tab should NOT be made larger...

That trade expired on May 16th. no more available
Userlevel 4
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

This has been brought up before and the result is that the negative tab should NOT be made larger...

Really? I saw in my work documentation, when I was in over the weekend, and it is still available.
Tyler, as I said in the other thread...Virgin allows -300
Userlevel 4
MarcusG wrote:

Tyler, as I said in the other thread...Virgin allows -300

Geoff, as I said..."the negative tab should NOT be made larger due to the fact that it will take longer to get into the positive tab balance"
Increasing the negative portion is not the way to go. Koodo is supposed to be be affordable. Do you really want to be stuck paying a tab that's more than $150 should you decide to leave? I know I wouldn't. I full support the increase on the positive side, but don't try and turn Koodo into Virgin with their Supertab(which is just like a fixed term contract with a cancelation fee).
I understand all the comments but I feel that maybe some people would like to have the option of choosing which way they want to go in the plan.
They can choose any plan they want now, so I'm not really understanding your post.
The nature of affordability isn't diminished, in fact it's enhanced but with the additional liability to the user. Say I want a $650 phone, with option of "a" $150 tab or "b" the $300 tab a) Would mean I pay an extra $150 now b) say I owe $300 on the tab and still have a balance of $150 after year years, I have saved 3 year of interest on $150. Sure at current rates of interest it's not much, but really why do people who live in big cities stay away from Wind Mobile? Save about $40/month on service but you have to pay for the phone...many don't want to pay but still want nice big fancy phones. I could leave Koodo for Fido, get a 2 year deal and $400 phone for free (Nexus4) with some store promotions then flip back to Koodo only to get an incentive to come back. Many do this, but I wouldn't want to bother. So why is it the Tab level is so stringent when it doesn't need to be?
Userlevel 4
MarcusG wrote:

The nature of affordability isn't diminished, in fact it's enhanced but with the additional liabi...

I think I see your point now 🙂
The tab is supposed to be affordable, not leave you broke. That's why it's capped at -$150. Quite honestly, if you want a high end phone, you can save up for it. Why rely on Koodo to have their tab bigger than what it should be? -$150 fits perfectly and you can max it out at a total of $300.
Userlevel 6
Sherlock Holmes wrote:

The tab is supposed to be affordable, not leave you broke. That's why it's capped at -$150. Quite...

The Doctor, I appreciate your comment but an extra $50 is not really a deal breaker and still affordable.
"Doctor" it's a personal choice, anyone who can get a phone can get credit. Frankly I'd like the ability to consolidate TABs within family accounts
MarcusG wrote:

"Doctor" it's a personal choice, anyone who can get a phone can get credit. Frankly I'd like t...

Except that it doesn't work. Each line has to have it's own tab and can only be used for phones being activated on that line. And sure, it's a personal choice, but let's call a spade a spade. Anyone who wants a high end phone is "willing" to go as far into the negative as possible to not have to pay the cost up front. And then what happens 3 months down the road, when the customer gets pissed off about something and decides to leave? Now they are stuck with an enormous tab balance that needs to be paid. Kood wants to avoid that, thus they cap the tab at the amount that it's at.
MarcusG wrote:

"Doctor" it's a personal choice, anyone who can get a phone can get credit. Frankly I'd like t...

It is their choice if that is what they want to do then so be it.
Actually there many that espouse the idea of signing up on Koodo then bailing to get a cheap phone. Read Redflagdeals, it's a constant post. sign up, get the phone and a card at Futureshop or London Drugs then cancel.
Geoff- your comment was great and is along the lines of what I was getting at in regards to having an option. If you want a 150 tab or a 300 tab then you can pick either one. It is not rocket science and everyone is entitle to their opinion on this matter. This forum is to share such opinions without being made to feel as if your say does not count.
Yup, and it goes both ways. You can agree to something and I can disagree.
Gabrielle, I think you are misunderstanding the point of the company strategy to stick to a $150+/- tab as the other individual states (doctor?) versus that of being open to the market where other companies have expanded the idea. The notion of 3 year contracts being banned by the CRTC has been discussed many a times: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/12/08/cellphones-canada.html The tab concept is merely a contract tied to usage dollars, the same rate to cancel applies the question is does Koodo stay to their focus or yield to market pressures? Fido Offered a 39 plan, did Koodo follow suit? Last December companies lowered their plans $1 at time among Koodo/Fido/Virgin. I think the trend is there
MarcusG wrote:

Gabrielle, I think you are misunderstanding the point of the company strategy to stick to a $150+...

I do agree and understand what you are saying. Sorry that it was not clear enough, too many thoughts going through my head. Sorry!
Getting a lot of responses here, and we all have different opinions. Consider these scenarios: a) keep the status quo, phones can be bought for $150 and the tab should end in three years or less but you are now a lesser tab than Virgin Canada. b) Increase the tab to compete, users would have to pay to exit but they would save versus paying upfront for a nicer phone. Reliance is on the customer to manage their money and budget. c) Increase tab to say $1 Billion dollars, I by 1.6 Million S4s at $625 then resell them at say $575 ($50 loss/unit or $80M dollars) but invest my sales dollars in something simple. (like that ING guy bank) and pay off the tab at $2/month. Eventually the interest offsets the $80M loss and I gain a profit to pay back the tab in say 67 months at 1.5%. Yes my profit would be almost $1 Million dollars. Now option "c" is of course as foolish as saying a $200 tab is worse than a $150 tab: I would assume the difference is negligible for most users but it comes down to an individual customer being able to manage their tab/spending versus the credit risk of a Tab customer going AWOL. Only Koodo can answer that; but many of the suggestions are on Tab issues.
Userlevel 1
All in all - lot of Tab suggestions were brought in this post, Koodo was first company to start tab thing, it'll be last one to decide what's best for customers and for the company not us guys. I hope officials are evaluating all this to please everyone!