Koodo Community

Community

Solved

If I change my phone can I still keep the same plan I have now?

If I change my phone can I still keep the same plan I have now? I currently have blackberry with unlimited Canada wide calling, unlimited texting and 2 gigs of data for $56 per month. If I changed my phone to an android, would I be able to keep my existing plan? The reason I ask this is I see the new unlimited plan only offers 1 gig of data for $60 per month.

12 replies

Yes you can change phones & keep the plan. Changing the phone just changes the phone you are using, it won't touch your rate plan unless you decide to change the rate plan.
Thanks for the info. I was just curious because when I looked at the self serve section of my account, the rate plan seemed specific to blackberry and was I thinking that if I changed to an android phone, I would have to select a rate plan specific to the android operating system. So, thank you for clearing that up for me.
You are indeed correct. You will NOT be able to keep your plan as the plan you currently have is specific to Blackberry and therefore will need to be changed to a non-Blackberry plan and the plan you have is now expired and no longer available.
El Tabador Les wrote:

You are indeed correct. You will NOT be able to keep your plan as the plan you currently have is ...

Your info is incorrect. Blackberry specific plans will work on non-Blackberry phones. Quite frankly, if you are going to impersonate El Tabador, at least brush up on your information.
Just put the SIM in another phone and see if it works. It might not be Blackberry specific...
It will work...yes but if you call Koodo with any tech issues they will need to change it.
El Tabador Les wrote:

It will work...yes but if you call Koodo with any tech issues they will need to change it.

No, a rate plan change IS NOT NEEDED. Blackberry specific data plans will work on non-Blackberry phones. No rate plan change is needed. Data troubleshooting will work regardless if it's a Blackberry data plan on an android phone or Apple Iphone.
Thanks for the additional info. Just to clarify, if I were to buy a a new bb z10, I could keep my existing plan, but if I change to an android, it will work until such a time as when I need tech support. At which point, I would be forced into the prevailing. Am I correct?
Laurie MacIntosh wrote:

Thanks for the additional info. Just to clarify, if I were to buy a a new bb z10, I could keep m...

The Z10 does not need a special data plan like older Blackberries. You can use the same rate plan whether it's android, iphone or BB Z10. You won't need to change your rate plan at all.
Laurie MacIntosh wrote:

Thanks for the additional info. Just to clarify, if I were to buy a a new bb z10, I could keep m...

Thanks Marcus. I posted the message you just responded to before seeing your previous message. Sorry about that. So, what I hear you saying is I can stay in my $56 per month plan regardless of what phone I get. So I can buy an LG nexus 4 from google and enjoy a pure android experience if that is what I desire.
Userlevel 2
Laurie MacIntosh wrote:

Hey Laurie, Marcus is correct. Enjoy that LG Nexus 4 🙂.
Userlevel 7
The older Blackberries (Curves and Bolds) require special provisioning for the data to work properly (it's compressed through RIM's servers) - but that provisioning will work on other devices as well. He most likely won't have to change his plan at all.