Koodo Community

Community

Idea: Give Existing Customers Access to Awesome Plans/Prices Being Offered to New Customers

My idea would be to add a feature where existing customers can update their plans to get in on the awesome prices being offered to new customers.(Without having to pay off their entire tabs in a lump sum to start fresh.) I have been a Koodo customer since 2008 and love Koodo! Recently I have been using more data than is included in my 400MB/month plan. On the Koodo website I see there is a shiny new $43 plan that includes 750MB of data for only $4 more per month than I currently pay. I called Koodo support to see if I could get in on this or if there was flexibility to increase the data in my current plan and was politely told the plan I saw was only for new customers, or I could pay off my entire tab (in a lump sum) to start fresh and switch to the plan. If I wanted to upgrade to 750MB of data it would be $11 more per month than I currently pay. There was no other flexibility in the system. The rep I spoke to said his hands were tied and that I should post here and maybe, just maybe, if other people also felt this way the Koodo higher-ups would make it possible for existing customers to update their plans as described in the future. It is cheaper for me to just pay $5/100MB extra for additional data I use at this time (I use ~550MB a month). I rarely ask for anything, and I wasn't asking for any freebies here. I feel a little bummed and a little taken for granted to see new deals being waved around for new customers, but not being able to join in with 7 years of loyalty under my belt. Does anyone else feel this way?

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The $43 plan is a No Tab plan. If you want to switch to it you can totally do it as long as your tab is paid off. Koodo has this restriction due to the complete change in their tab structure. Koodo is no longer subsidzing phones, but offering plans and phone subsidies as 2 separate things.
Hi Dennis, If this is a No Tab plan how come the first row in the column is the tab charge row on the Plan page? Here is a screen capture.

Userlevel 3
The reason you have to pay off your tab first is because the tab structure has changed completely with Koodo. As it use to stand you would be given a tab of $150 and that would be reduced each month by the equivalent of 10 or 15% of your monthly bill depending if your had the 2 or 3 year contract. Now however any tab you are given up front must solely be paid by you (not Koodo) so those plans you see are structure to include the no tab discount, and people who get any of those plans will have to pay an additional $7 or 15 monthly (depending on the phone they got). So if someone got the $43 plan with a tab they'd actually be paying either $50 or $58 monthly.
Userlevel 1
Andrew wrote:

The reason you have to pay off your tab first is because the tab structure has changed completely...

In other words, Koodo did not care for one second about the existing customers when creating this new tab.
I agree they take Koodo customers for grant. We as customers should have the same offers as new customers. The Koodo Company can afford it and to keep their customers happy. They do not want their customers going to a different cell phone company provider.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I dont understand what you mean. This is not a special offer. Anyone and everyone is able to sign up to the new plans once your tab is paid off. You can even get another phone on tab and use the monthly tab charge too. But because of the new tab structure, you must pay off your old tab first before they can switch you over to the new structure/system. Now since it is a new system/structure, you may need to call in to change to these plans if it is not in your self serve after you pay off your tab. Calling in to do this is also free (*611). Just tell them you are changing to the new plans and you cant do it on self serve since it doesnt show up
Thanks for explaining this Andrew. So the tab structure I know and love has been completely changed, but is still called a tab. As a long time customer with an "Original Structure Tab" I find it confusing that it is still called a tab even though it is no longer the same. Any of the new plans advertised are really are not as good as they seem then. 😞 I can pay $50 a month for a plan with 750MB of data. But so can someone who is brand new. Zero advantage to being an long time customer I guess.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Tiffany wrote:

Thanks for explaining this Andrew. So the tab structure I know and love has been completely chang...

It depends on what your old plan is. Koodo has had various plans in the past. For some, the new plans are better and for some they are worse. Koodo also does not make you change your plan either so you have the choice to keep your old plan or change to a new plan
I would like to just be able to transition my current tab balance to the new plan. I don't want to lump sum pay off my entire tab up front just so I can switch. But since the new tab structure is different than the old tab structure I have gathered that this is not possible. The only reason I was interested in switching is because I keep using more than my current amount of included data, and saw the new plan offered a lot more data for only $4 more. Right now I pay the $5/100MB for extra data use and am paying $5-$10 extra each month.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Tiffany wrote:

I would like to just be able to transition my current tab balance to the new plan. I don't want t...

You gather correctly. i know it sucks a little. But pulling the phone subsidy out of the plan and having it separately is suppose to give more transparency.
Userlevel 3
Having done this may be to provide more transparency; however, along with this so called transparency it is also hurting long term customers forcing them to pay more (grandfather plans are not valid on upgrade) so you must choose a new plan even if it's more expensive for the same services. Also for every tab koodo use to cover $150 of the phone's cost assuming you were to remain for the full duration of your tab agreement. Now all that koodo will provide you is an interest free loan as you must pay back the full amount and this does not even remotely hold the same value in my opinion.
Andrew wrote:

Having done this may be to provide more transparency; however, along with this so called transpar...

My plan is grandfathered and I have carried it with me thru 3 phone upgrades they only extra fees where for the large tab when I switched to more expensive phone..never had any issues
Userlevel 5
After the CRTC outlawed 3 year contracts, Koodo offered excellent Choices and Insensitives to all Tab Contracts, as apposed to only the 3 year contracts. My wifes's plan was unlimited calling and 1G @ $60.00 per month. Koodo offered me, unlimited calling and 2G for $58.00 per month, if I paid off $70.00 Tab. Today unlimited calling and 2G is worth $63.00 per month. So as a long time Customer, Koodo offered a Great Choice and fantastic Insensitive, to pay off $70.00 Tab, I am certainly more than satisfied, with Koodo. I also think, more Koodo Customers, than not, also took similar advantages, in all Koodo Tab Teirs, in the simple fact that there is less complaints, than more. Not paying your Tab off is your choice and as an apple you won't get any sympathy's from the oranges that did pay off tabs and do enjoy, more for less.
Userlevel 3
5s wrote:

After the CRTC outlawed 3 year contracts, Koodo offered excellent Choices and Insensitives to all...

To get the new plans it makes sense for people on the old system to pay off their tab first as the 10 or 15% tab contribution does not apply to new plans. These new plans though are more costly on upgrade. Should you get a new phone on the 2 GB plan for $63 you have to also add on the tab payment so you will actually be paying $78 per month (or $70 if you get a budget device).
My tab is currently at $160. If I were to pay it off that is $160 out of my pocket. If I just continue with my current plan a % of my bill goes towards reducing it each month which is the system I know and like. I'm going to stick with my current plan and just pay the extra $5-$10 a month for data overage. The available options to up the data within my plan (pay off tab and switch plan / pay extra $11 to switch plans within my tab structure) do not appeal at all. Thanks everyone for your replies.