Koodo Community

Community

Solved

ID problems taking monthly plans

hi, one month ago I have moved to Canada, St Johns and I took my prepaid card, as I did not have any documents. Now I have SIN, MCP, scotiabank account, work permit, my passport etc and in koodo they told me that I cannt change to he monthly plan. I aws reding some posts and I could see that 8 months ago it was possible. Now it has been changes?

25 replies

Userlevel 6
The only reason you couldn't change to a monthly plan if you don't pass their credit check. Did you go to a koodo store and try to sign up?
What does it mean that I don't pass their credit check? Yes I went to the Koodo store, and they told me that I need a Photo Identification Card issued by the Motor Registration Division.
Userlevel 6
Ania Matulka wrote:

What does it mean that I don't pass their credit check? Yes I went to the Koodo store, and they ...

Which store was it? You do need photo ID, but your passport has that. One you have the proper IDs they will run or at least try to run a credit check to see what your history of paying bills,loans etc., if any, in this country is. Based on the score you get they may or may not be able to sign up for a monthly plan. All phone companies do this to better their chances of bills getting paid.
Ania Matulka wrote:

What does it mean that I don't pass their credit check? Yes I went to the Koodo store, and they ...

It was a store in Avalon Mall in St John's. This is really crazy, as I have arrive one month ago, so what they expect abot my credit check... and I wanted to change to the monthly plan as the pre-paid plans are really bad.
Userlevel 7
Ania Matulka wrote:

You'll be fine. Bring your passport, SIN card, and a utility bill or bank statement that has proof of address.
Ania Matulka wrote:

But they told me that I need the Goverment photo ID (the Canadian one). Well tomorrow I will go to the different store, hope they will accept my passport, SIN and bank statement
Userlevel 7
Ania Matulka wrote:

Passport counts as photo ID, so they don't know what they're talking about.
Userlevel 6
Ania Matulka wrote:

Follow Jonathan's advice. Let us know what happens.
I went to the store in the village mall and they told me exactly the same, that I need two Canadian's documents, and that my passport does not count... I asked why is like this, that as I came for one year and I can't have a month to month contract? They told me that people were coming for six months and they were leaving without pay. This I do not understand, as in Spain if you do not pay one month, after one week they can your mobile, so I see this ridiculous. Anyway... thank you for your help
Userlevel 2
Ania Matulka wrote:

I went to the store in the village mall and they told me exactly the same, that I need two Canadi...

explain them i do not want contract , i want postpaid connection .
Ania Matulka wrote:

I went to the store in the village mall and they told me exactly the same, that I need two Canadi...

what is the postpaid connection? I wanted something that I can pay monthly, but I do not sign a contract
Userlevel 5
Hi everyone!! We've heard you loud and clear and want to clarify what's needed to activate on a monthly plan. Foreign passports are accepted as photo ID, combined with a Canadian Credit Card or SIN. If you don't have a Canadian credit card or SIN, you can provide landing paper or a buckslip from the Scotiabank StartRight program.
Userlevel 7
Josie wrote:

Hi everyone!! We've heard you loud and clear and want to clarify what's needed to activate on a m...

Thanks Josie. Since the OP had these documents, I think you guys should contact that store's manager and have him/her coach the staff on acceptable IDs required for activation and invite him back to try signing up again.
Userlevel 5
Josie wrote:

Hi everyone!! We've heard you loud and clear and want to clarify what's needed to activate on a m...

Hey Jonathan! That's exactly what we did and communicated the change after we reviewed and tweaked what's needed to activate. We're hoping Ania is following this and will give it another go!
Josie wrote:

They did not accept my Passport so I had to ask a friend from my work to take the monthly plan for me. They didnt want to accept my passport Josie. I went to 2 different stores and they told me exactly the same thing. That I need a Canadian passport, or Canadian dirving licence etc...
Userlevel 2
i am not sure why in the other post girl from italy was mentioned that you can not .. why mobile masters are providing false information http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/contract-bmysf82ir7yii
Userlevel 6
Benaam Badnaam wrote:

i am not sure why in the other post girl from italy was mentioned that you can not .. why mobile ...

Sounds like a bit of a confusion. The Mobile Masters are awesome, but at the end of the day, they are noit officials in my opinion. To be honest, this is on koodo, I cant even find the info that co-relates to the above. This is the only thing: http://help.koodomobile.com/getting-started-with-koodo/before-you-purchase
Userlevel 6
Benaam Badnaam wrote:

i am not sure why in the other post girl from italy was mentioned that you can not .. why mobile ...

If I'm reading this page right, I think it's referring to activating/buying online?? Some clarity would be nice!
Userlevel 6
Benaam Badnaam wrote:

Not really. Purchase anywhere, including online. But it's not clear what is really needed and why it's in the 'do you perform a credit check' question. Who would be looking for what I need there? And when you get there....passport is not even mentioned as valid ID. http://help.koodomobile.com/getting-started-with-koodo/before-you-purchase/do-you-perform-a-credit-check
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Benaam Badnaam wrote:

Because OP from this link is a tourist here ... So I also don't think that tourist can get a monthly plan.
Userlevel 2
who said tourist can not get koodo post paid ? if this was true then all tourist should go to some other country.or maybe ontario government should stop giving them drivers licences and electricity and hydro and ...do not make my bite my tongue until it bleeds .. tourist/visitors/students/ people with no credit score ----- please go to you bank with imm1442 and your passport which has valid entry stamp (canadian visa) money and have them open a checking account ..you can also get 300$ to 1000$ secure mastercard with them (use it pay it) refer to this link : http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/document/PDF/accounts/522050.pdf id A : 4. A Permanent Resident card IMM 5292 or Citizenship and Immigration Canada Form IMM 1000 or IMM 1442.; id B : 5. A foreign passport go to drive test location and get a G1 or G2 with your alien passport and imm1442 with bank statement and credit card . http://www.drivetest.ca/EN/licencing/Pages/How-to-Apply.aspx when you have a DL and CC ..no one at koodo will say NO to you then . everyone wants to make their life easy nowadays i see.
Userlevel 2
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/protect/provide.shtml When don’t I have to provide my SIN? Some private-sector organizations may ask for your SIN. This practice is strongly discouraged, but it is not illegal. Here are examples of when you don’t have to give your Social Insurance Number: 11.subscribing to long-distance or cellular telephone services
As I mentioned in one answer before I could not take by myself a monthly plan (or postpaid). In 2 different stores they insisted that I should have a Canadian ID. In every country in Europe you can have a monthly plan with a passport, only in Canada it is a problem. They told me that the reason that it has changed is because many people did not pay and were leaving country... In Europe you do not pay one month your bill, they cut your phone, so I do not understand how they provide service for people that do not pay for 6 months... crazy.... Anyway I have found solution, I am on the account of one friend from work.
Great Article. Thanks for the info. Does anyone know where I can find a blank Canada IMM 1000?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
When all is said and done, you have to pass a credit check, and the internal rules for acceptance are entirely arbitrary, not commonly divulged and written by the org. giving credit.

If you tried to get the same phone/plan from AT&T in the USA, assuming your Canadian credit is impeccable, they would still ask you for a six month up front deposit because their credit system is entirely based on social security number specific to the USA. European rules are different, because of the common currency and probably some automatic interchange of credit information within the EU which does not exist in North America.

It's not pleasant. It's not right, but that the system we have.