Koodo Community

Community

Solved

I want the new promo plan thats offered to manitoba and Saskatchewan 5GB $60 plan

I live in Ontario specifically Ottawa. and I want the new 5GB $60 promo plan that koodo has given to Manitoba and Saskatchewan. why isn't Koodo offering this plan for people in Ontario ??? how can I get this plan?

12 replies

Userlevel 6
I don't think you can unless you live there. Lots of companies have different promos in different provinces. If you are wiling to take a Manitoba phone number though I think it may work.
Mike, I am in ottawa as well. And without moving to Manitoba or Saskatchewan, unfortunately, we can't get this plan... Even taking a MB phone number won't work, as you need to be a resident. These plans are due to the competition in small market provinces, you would see similar plans for QC every now and then. (Maybe move to Gatineau? You would save on your phone, but pay more for everything else except beer 🙂
Userlevel 1
Marcel in O-Town wrote:

Mike, I am in ottawa as well. And without moving to Manitoba or Saskatchewan, unfortunately, we ...

This Plan is only intended to be used in MB/SK, if customer moves to another province Koodo system will change automatically that privilege.
Marcel in O-Town wrote:

Mike, I am in ottawa as well. And without moving to Manitoba or Saskatchewan, unfortunately, we ...

I learned something today.. Gatineau is more expensive than Ottawa... I wouldn't have thought so... Anyway, it's way time to upgrade the size of data plan without uping the price... Just come back to regular margin.... You had your goody, give us ours now! We will be happy, you will be happy to see us happy and finally, happy people's become magnets and make more happy people wich will make your shareholders very, very happy!  A still happy customer, (thumbs up for customer service. After you established the mutual understanding of both arguments, you can then work something out that will be a fair deal with no feeling that you've ripped of.) 
Userlevel 6
Mike, we have had this debate on a couple occasions here on these forums, and the general consensus was that nationwide carriers could and should have nationwide plans as well. It's not happening though, mainly because carriers can get away with it and people will still settle for lesser plans for the same price. The best you can do is hope for the best when back-to-school specials come out next August, but don't get your hopes too high.
More competition results in higher prices for consumers. Sorry, just need to wipe the koolaid from the big 3 off my mouth. Verizon coming wouldn't possibly change this at all, right? Would only make it worse I'm sure.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Blah, blah, Verizon, blah, blah, competition, blah, blah, big three, blah, blah, blah. After all, everyone knows that Verizon is always fighting for the customer by offering the lowest prices of any US provider, right?
Point is that they all play dirty pool. And competition in this case has resulted in a great plan that lack of competition means we in Ontario can't have. This plan is a perfect example of how competition WORKS. So blahblahblah yourself
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
MTS has a 55% market share in Manitoba. Sasktel has an 80% market share in SK. The only reason Koodo is offering special plans in these two provinces is to compete with these two providers, who already offer such plans. Tell me again how monopolies are evil and lack of competition is the ONLY reason you aren't being offered the plan you want.
Did you miss something in my responses along the way? Market share of Koodo is low in those spots so they are attempting to be a market disrupter and buy share with a low priced plan. MTS and SaskTel, assuming they see a threat, will respond with a similarly low priced plan and in the end consumers will win. Much the same will happen when another deep pocket player enters the Canadian market like Verizon, AT&T or whomever it ends up being. So yes, lack of competition results in higher prices in general, and I do believe that's why Koodo is not offering this in Ontario.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Strange then, that the two provinces with the biggest monopolies have the best plans.
No it's not. They have the biggest customer base to lose and therefore more companies willing to buy market share with lower priced plans in those areas. Koodo is acting as a market disrupter. We need a disrupter in Ontario, but everyone seems to be happy enough with what they have. Disrupters are bad for business. Recall the gas wars in the 80s. Price wars drive down profits and increase retention costs. No one wants that. But in these cases a larger company (Telus/koodo) is trying to drive down the profit of the smaller incumbent (MTS/SaskTel). Telus won't fight with Rogers/bell as they have the same or deeper pockets and if koodo fights in Ontario, bell will fight in Alberta. So there is a kind of peace. But a regional carrier is anyone's to beat on, so here we are. It all sounds a little like Verizon (a deep pocket disrupter with nothing to lose and everything to gain) coming to a small closed market (Canada) and driving out the smaller incumbents (Rogers/bell/Telus). Once established, Verizon will attempt to drive prices back up too, but the 12-18 months of them (or whomever) entering the market will be very interesting.