Koodo Community

Community

Solved

I need a plan for Africa

Im going to africa for a month. I dont see any plans here that I could get?

12 replies

Userlevel 7
There are no roaming plans for Africa. You would be paying $2.50/min, $10/MB and $0.60 per text sent and $0.60 per text received. I'd leave your phone at home.
Userlevel 6
You could always unlock your Koodo phone, it's just $35, then set up a prepaid service with an African carrier. You can also put your phone on a seasonal hold of $15 a month. However, if you're on a grandfathered plan it will not be recoverable when you get back so you'll have to pick an in-market plan.
Userlevel 7
Curtules wrote:

You could always unlock your Koodo phone, it's just $35, then set up a prepaid service with an Af...

Don't put your plan on seasonal hold. Worst decision you could make. Especially since you're only going for a month. I wouldn't have even listed the option.
Userlevel 6
Curtules wrote:

You could always unlock your Koodo phone, it's just $35, then set up a prepaid service with an Af...

Wow, Ahmad, much hate for the new plans?
Userlevel 7
Curtules wrote:

I don't hate them THAT much, but they're not very good. The only ones that are decent are the $39 and $44, and the $54 gets an honorable mention but it's still embarrassing that at over $54 a customer still can't even get 1GB of data.
Curtules wrote:

If u put ur phone on a seasonal hold could you still use the wifi if I are In a area that provides it?
Userlevel 7
Curtules wrote:

Definitely! wifi still works, it's just all cell service (text,talk, data) will be disabled when your phone is put on seasonal hold. But keep in mind if you have a really nice grandfathered plan, seasonal hold is not recommended. Hope that helps! 🙂
Curtules wrote:

What do u mean by grandfather plan.?
Badge +4
Curtules wrote:

A grandfathered plan is where Koodo honours it's subscribers who have rate plans that are no longer available. For example, Koodo honours customers that are still on rate plans that include per-second billing. If you happen to have such a plan, applying a Seasonal Hold would mean that you would lose that rate plan entirely because per-second billing is no longer offered. You would then have to select from Koodo's current monthly plan offerings.
Curtules wrote:

oh ok. well thanks everyone for the information!!! I did go with a seasonal hold today.. Leave in 2 days!!!
Badge +4
Unlocking the phone would prove pointless. In North America Koodo phones are compatible with HSPA 850/1900 MHz frequencies. While traveling internationally Koodo phones are compatible with HSPA 850/900/1800/1900 MHz frequencies. The most common frequencies in Africa are 2G 900/1800 and 3G 2100 MHz. The alternative, purchase a prepaid device in Africa.
Userlevel 7
rikkster wrote:

Unlocking the phone would prove pointless. In North America Koodo phones are compatible with HSPA...

I don't think that's necessarily the case. If someone buys an S III from Koodo, for example, the model has quad band GSM and quad band HSPA. Why wouldn't that work in Africa?