Koodo Community

Community

Solved

I just got a message saying my positive TAB had been retired to a purchase credit. Does this mean my bill will go down now?

Retired Tap and Billing

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
No. If you got this message it means you are on an old plan which accumulated a positive tab balance. You weren't paying a separate tab fee to begin with. If this plan still offers the best value for money, you can certainly keep it, but your price will not go down simply because you are no longer accumulating positive tab points.
Hi Timo,

Based on your response above - "You weren't paying a separate tab fee to begin with", my understanding is that the bill should go down as we don't need to pay Tab fee anymore. Please clarify. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
James Zhang wrote:

Hi Timo,

Based on your response above - "You weren't paying a separate tab fee to begin with", m...

If you are on the old plan, Koodo gave points (represented as dollars towards a new phone) for your continued loyalty. The new Tab is separated from your plan, and does indeed stop after 24 months, resulting in a lower total payment. To my knowledge, Koodo is the only carrier offering a Tab style payment plan, rather than a subsidy tied to your ongoing payment.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
As I already indicated, these plans don't include "x amount for the plan" and "y amount for the tab". They had a set fee for the plan, and you got tab points as a bonus. The price of the plan [b]will not go down.
My plan was with tab before, why did Koodo cancel my  Tab and indicate that I don't have Tab plan now.

Please visit the link: https://www.koodomobile.com/tab

Once you pay off your tab, your monthly bill actually [b]goes down ––– you’ll only need to pay your monthly plan charge. For example: from 55 down 40.

Please explain.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
James Zhang wrote:

My plan was with tab before, why did Koodo cancel my  Tab and indicate that I don't have Tab...

The information at that link applies to the [b]current tab structure, in which you pay a given price for your plan, and then a separate fee for the tab charge on top of that. Anyone who was still accumulating tab points is still under the [b]old tab structure, which has not been available to new customers for 1-2 years now.
Koodo can update the tab policy anytime without existing customer's permission.

I was under old tab structure before, why did Koodo cancel my Tab recently? 

I want to use the money $150 in my old tab to pay the bill. Is that Okay?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
From Koodo's terms of service: Can Koodo change the terms of service in my agreement? Yes, Koodo has the right to change any of the terms that are outlined in your Agreement, except those covered by the Price Guarantee, which we will not change without your consent. Before we make any changes, we will give you at least thirty days' written notice, by bill message, text message or email. The notice will include a copy of the new service term or of the new and former versions of a modified service term, the date that the change will occur and a description of your rights to cancel service (if applicable and as required by law). https://www.koodomobile.com/service-terms As for why they are riding the old tab structure, Koodo has, since they launched, offered roughly 3-4 different versions of their tab program, all of which have continued to be grandfathered in on the accounts of legacy customers. The upshot of this is that if someone asks the question "how does my tab work", the answer ends up being something like: "well, if you signed up between year x and year y, it works like xxxxxx; if you signed up between year y and year z, it works like yyyyyyyy; if you need up after year z, it works like zzzzzz." To reduce confusion, koodo has decided to retire the old versions of the tab, more or less bringing everyone in line with the same program. In doing so, rather than simply eliminate the positive tab and declare it forfeit, which they would be within their rights to do, they have instead simply maxed out the positive tab for these customers at the full $150 sale they would have been allowed to accumulate. This tab credit can be used to provide $150 of the price of any phone. It has [b]never been possible to use the tab to pay your monthly phone bill.