Koodo Community

Community

How to win-over tons of new Koodo customers and make your current customers happier in one easy step.

How about a reasonably priced Social Media add-on with unlimited access to Facebook and Twitter?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Not possible. It was only possible on blackberry because RIM controlled all access to data. Since the introduction of bb10, even RIM doesn't do this anymore.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Not possible. It was only possible on blackberry because RIM controlled all access to data. Sin...

Sure it's possible, and for free with Facebook Zero (https://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook/fast-and-free-facebook-mobile-access-with-0facebookcom/391295167130). Wind has already offered this in the past (http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/02/16/wind-world-facebook-zero-both-free-for-wind-subscribers/). Not sure about the current status.
Userlevel 2
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Not possible. It was only possible on blackberry because RIM controlled all access to data. Sin...

No, it's not actually possible. It was possible on older Blackberries because RIM controlled the data. It's currently not possible because the data is basically "open sourced". There is no way to control what uses what data specifically on the network end.
Userlevel 7
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

The Facebook app must draw it's data from specific URL. If koodo can allow limitless use of the Koodo app why is the Facebook app any different?
Userlevel 2
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

I'd wager a guess that Koodo programmed the app specifically that way, because it's their app. Any other app wouldn't be able to be programmed this way since they didn't make it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Myke, what do you mean it's not possible when I specifically showed an example of how Facebook can do it? In the same example it's shown how WIND offers (or offered, I'm not sure) access to some content free of charge through their online portal. I don't know (and don't actually care) how they do it, but it has been done. This is (or was) available on all WIND devices (probably didn't work on non-WIND unlocked phones).
Userlevel 2
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Thanks for your response, Ivan. I was about to make an example out of other carriers. Ivan is right! It´s a matter of modifying koodos apn or a simple firewall on koodos network with a particular port number to have free facebook and twitter. That would attract masses. I believe this is a good idea.
Userlevel 6
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

That would open a big loophole though, the same that people used with Petro-Canada / 7-11 SpeakOut. Basically, on a rooted device, you could install a proxy and you'd be able to use [i]most of your apps as if you had data enabled. VoIP apps did not work though, and background sync, too, failed. You could still check email and IM manually though, but you did not get the notifications.
Userlevel 2
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Ivan, Koodo isn't wind. You can't use what another provider did and try to compare it to Koodo. Completely different systems.