Koodo Community
Question

How to increase data without buying new phone (temporarily, if possible)

• 20 September 2022
  • 19 replies

Userlevel 2

When I log into Koodo to “Shop”, it seems that the only options for a bigger data plan are to buy a new phone.

1. How does one navigate to options for increasing data *without* buying a new phone?
  2. Is it possible to buy more headroom temporarily?

If I just use data and run over, I automatically get an extra 100MB for $13, which is too small and expensive.

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you are on a shock free plan, data should stop automatically once you reach 100%. Once that happens, you will receive a text from Koodo with some choices to purchase extra data.

Userlevel 2

Thanks Sophia, but how do I find information on what the purchase options are from my current position?  I prefer not automatically stopping my data usage, but I’m just trying to find a better alternative to $13 for every 100MB.

Apart from increasing the ceiling in tiny 100MB steps, at great expense each step, I was wondering how to simply buy a bigger data plan.  I hope that this is cheaper than $13/100MB.  The only options presented by Koodo online for a bigger data plan is the buy a new phone.

Finally, I wonder if I can buy the bigger data plan temporarily.  I normally hardly use my phone, but there are times in life when you need a surge rather than using it by exception.  If a temporarily bigger data plan is not possible, then I will consider a permanent increase.  However, I don’t see any way to navigate the website to buying a bigger plan, either temporarily or permanently, without buying a new phone.  That just doesn’t make sense.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Once you reached your data limit, they will pause your data. And they will give you some options.

1-   go as pay per use rate : $13/100MB

2- 300 mb for $xx

3-  1gb for $cc 

Those options 2 and 3, I don't have exact number since I haven't go over my limit recently. But it's better deal than pay per use rate.

Userlevel 2

Thanks, Mayumi.  Is there any way obtain the costs for 300MB and 1GB before running over?  How do I get Koodo to prompt me with those options?  I currently only get a text message telling me that I’ve used up 50%, 90%, and 100% of my quota.

As well, is there any way to simply buy a bigger plan each month without buying a new phone?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Here you go: https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/shock-free-data

Userlevel 2

Thanks Sophia.  My plan *is* Shock-Free.  That page that you cited says that the data is paused when you use it up.  Then you have the option to send text to 5337 specifying “YES” to use pay-per-use (which I assume is $13/100MB), “17YES” for 500MB at $17, or “25YES” for 1GB at $25.

The problem is that it is unclear how this pause manifests.  If you loaded half a page, does it finish loading, resulting in pay-per-use before you have a chance to specify (say) “25YES”?  What if you’re using the phone as a hotspot so that you can participate in a video meeting?  I’ve never seen a pause in internet access, so I’m wondering how one specifies “17YES” or “25YES” before pay-per-use kicks in.  In fact, I’ve never even specified “YES” to initiate pay-per-use, but that’s exactly what happens.  It restarts a new 100MB when my data plan quota runs out, and repeatedly as soon as the last 100MB runs out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Can you log in your self serve and check the data setting?

Do you see all check marks like this?

If yes, your data will paused.  Then you will receive a text message from Koodo that tells you you reached your limit. And give you options if buying extra data if you want.

Userlevel 2

That’s sort of the problem.  I see the messages in my record of messages, but my data access is never stopped despite never having replied to 5337.  So I’m not sure what triggers the $13/100MB.  It shouldn’t proceed without my texting “YES” -- which I won’t do.  I prefer to text “25YES” to get $15/1GB.

If I’m using the phone as a hotspot so that I can attend a video meeting my laptop, I might not notice the message warning of 100% usage of my data plan quota.  If the data is paused, the meeting should be interrupted.  I don’t know if the 100% limit was ever reached during an actual meeting, but whenever it was reached, data access should halt and I should have a clear indication that I can’t proceed without topping up.  At *that* point, I can then choose “25YES”.  As per my 1st paragraph above, this is not what happens.

I do have permission to top-up.  I’m the only user of my phone and the phone number.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

What is your data usage say now?  Can you check your usage?

And I found example of text message you will recei from Koodo when you reached your limit. This is old (2yr ago) and rates are different off course. But you get idea.

Userlevel 2

Here is my data usage:

Here are my last text messages from 5337:

No mention of pausing or replying to unpause with a top-up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Can you click data preference to see data setting that I asked you first? And post a screenshot?

I posted a picture of SFD alert showing 50, 90 and 100% of limit to show you check marks there.

From your screenshots, it looks like you remove the pause function at some point. ( I know some people do because they don't want to get their data use interrupted.)

That's why your data is keep going with pay per use rate- without pausing.

Userlevel 2

Is the image below what you mean?  There doesn’t seem to be a checkbox for removing the pause function.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

See difference? Mine says "pause data." Yours says message alert at 100%, and not mentioned to pause.

I can flag a rep to check your account, and add pause function if possible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @andymhancock 

We were unable to identify your account based on your community profile.

Please use the “Log in via self serve” option from the login community page and let us know here

Userlevel 2

@Mayumi: Thanks, I would appreciate having my account flagged.  However, I use a different ID handle when posting on the forum for reasons of privacy.

@Flo Koodo(official rep): I am concerned.  When I last posted to the forum after logging into self-serve, the posting included personally identifying information.  Is there any way to get identify myself to Koodo reps while still being anonymous on the forum?  I looked at your profile page to see if there are options for sending you a personal message, but there is not.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Mayumi: Thanks, I would appreciate having my account flagged.  However, I use a different ID handle when posting on the forum for reasons of privacy.

@Flo Koodo(official rep): I am concerned.  When I last posted to the forum after logging into self-serve, the posting included personally identifying information.  Is there any way to get identify myself to Koodo reps while still being anonymous on the forum?  I looked at your profile page to see if there are options for sending you a personal message, but there is not.

Do you have FB or Twitter? You can send them a message through them. And I would give them a link of this topic too.

Userlevel 2

Unfortunately, no.  I will try to sort this out in the Koodo callback later today.  Thanks.

Userlevel 2

Strange.  I would have thought that the purpose of scheduling a callback is to enable prompt attendance.  It has been 25 minutes since the scheduled time of the callback.  I hope they actually call.

Userlevel 2

I was on the phone with Koodo for 1+ hours.  The reason why I don’t have the pause function, nor the option to top-up at $25/GB, is because my plan is too old.  I upgraded plans.

Thank you for your help, everyone who weighed in.

Oddly enough, the rep who called me did not have access to the internet and could not be directed to this page.