Koodo Community

Community

Solved

How to get Koodo account cancelled completely, instead of just suspended after port-out of number?

I ported my number from Koodo to a different provider yesterday. Problem is that the account has been kept suspended (instead of being cancelled completely) until early June, when my billing cycle would've ended with Koodo. Is there any way the account can be cancelled completely (i.e. deactivated) right now?

16 replies

Userlevel 7
It should be automatically deactivated once you port out. What the system is doing is seeing if there's any outstanding Tab balance left remaining and calculating proration, that's why it's not "finished" yet.
My account with Koodo states my account is suspended ported out. I just recently paid my Koodo bill. I would like to see this account deactivated as soon as possible...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Carol Ann Best wrote:

My account with Koodo states my account is suspended ported out. I just recently paid my Koodo bi...

Can you start a new post using this link?
https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/new

You have problem to port out your Koodo number to a different provider?
You mentioned you paid your bill - When did you make it and how?
Was it behind due for awhile?...etc.

We need more info to help you why your account is suspended to ported out.
Carol Ann Best wrote:

My account with Koodo states my account is suspended ported out. I just recently paid my Koodo bi...

I paid my koodo bill completely Jan 31 2018. I switched from koodo to virgin Feb 1 2018. I want to have my account deactivated.
Carol Ann Best wrote:

I would like confirmation of this.
Carol Ann Best wrote:

I have a similar question, but with slightly different twist and want to confirm what the Koodo rep told over phone is correct. Wait time is too long to call them back.
I had ported in from another provider on 1jun2018, then i ported back out to that same provider i came from on 5jun2018. I called Koodo customer service before porting out to understand what will i be charged. I was told that once port out is done, my account goes into Suspend status. But then I need to call and ask to put it into Cancel status, otherwise, i will get billed till 30jun2018. Instead if i called today, i will get prorated charges for 5 days. It was a BYOP plan, so no tab balance or anything like that.
It will be great if someone from Koodo can confirm it. As i called the 1-866 number and after 10 min hold, gave up. Did not get an option to get a call back, so stayed on hold for sometime.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Carol Ann Best wrote:

@Navin,
It is depended on cases. Once you ported out, you account was canceled. If for some reasons, they charged you the whole month, then you need to contact them. Wait time on call is likely more than 30 minutes (may be less if you are lucky), so you should plan for it. You might also send a message to Koodo facebook/twitter and ask them to check.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Carol Ann Best wrote:

IIRC, CS rep gave you right information. If you port out your number, your account will be cancelled at the end of your billing cycle. Some plan includes limited amount of talk minutes and setting cancelation date on the end of billing cycle could prevent overage charges since minutes also prorated. If you want cancel your service on certain day, then you have to call in and have to request it. So, if your porting was completed today and want to cancel your service today, then you have to call in. And you will be charged for 5 days.
Carol Ann Best wrote:

@Mayumi I have never heard of this(thought porting out always cancelled) but it makes sense for plans with limited minutes.

Are all plans treated this way, even plans with unlimited minutes when porting out?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Carol Ann Best wrote:

Port out cancel your service. But my understanding was they will set the cancelation date on end of the billing cycle. If you don’t want to get charged till end of your billing cycle, then you have to contact Koodo to cancel even after you ported out. I might be wrong ( this might be old info sticking my head). I hope some one can chime in .
Carol Ann Best wrote:

Ya porting out does cancel but I thought you only paid till that day, not the end of your billing cycle. Thats why I was wondering if plans with unlimited minutes were treated the same way.

Browse alot of forums and because you have to call in to Koodo to cancel, people will port out to prepaid just to avoid the long wait times by calling in. Never have heard of people being charged the whole billing cycle.

Thanks Mayumi
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Carol Ann Best wrote:

I've heard of it a few times. Not sure the logistics on it though. The few times I heard of it happening you will get charged until the end of the cycle but will get credited back the days you didnt use. (And you may possibly have to contact Koodo to get that credit).
Just going off old memories here though.
Carol Ann Best wrote:

I am dealing with this and it is such an inconvenient process. You call Koodo any time of the day and you hear the standard message of "wait time is over 15 mins, use self serve blah blah" and then even after long wait, no one comes. You get the option to have them call you back given sometimes, but not all the time. I ported out yesterday and now need to call and ask them to change my account from Suspend to Cancelled status, so that you i don't get charged for the remaining 25 days in billing cycle.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Carol Ann Best wrote:

You can go to https://koodomobile.com/chat to request a callback.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Carol Ann Best wrote:

You can go to https://koodomobile.com/chat to request a callback.
Carol Ann Best wrote:

Actually, Koodo/TELUS is making money off of unsuspecting customers.

If you port from Koodo (or TELUS) Postpaid to Koodo Prepaid, TELUS, or Public Mobile, the account is cancelled, and any unused days are refunded immediately. The reason they actually cancel immediately in this case is they cannot have the same number twice in their systems.

If you port from Koodo (or TELUS) Postpaid to any other provider, the account is suspended, and then cancelled at the end of the billing cycle. There are no refunds unless the customer complains. Most people are not even aware of this, so they are keeping a lot of money from unsuspecting customers. Even "Bhell" and "Robbers" give people's money back automatically but this company does not.

I complained about this to the CCTS and the CRTC multiple times, but they either do not care or do not understand that Koodo/TELUS is doing this to every customer who leaves their company.