Koodo Community

Community

Solved

How long does it take to move a phone number?

How long does it take to move a number to Koodo? We want to change our landline to a cell number for my wife, but she's 8+ months pregnant and can NOT be without access to a phone for any significant length of time. How much time can we expect to pass between our landline being shut off and a Koodo phone working?

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi Steven, if all goes well, it shouldn't take hours, sometimes even minutes. Make sure you do it all in the correct order - DO NOT cancel your landline for example BEFORE you port, etc... and you should be fine. Congrats btw 🙂
Userlevel 4
The time frame for a landline to cell phone port can be up to two business days
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

Oh is a landline different, Tyler? In that case Steven you might be better off activating the cell with a temporary number and port your landline when the baby is born - to be on the safe side!
Userlevel 4
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

It is. There is more administrative stuff to do for landline to mobile port requests. Steven, do as Sophia suggested. My better half is expecting as well so I know EXACTLY what you are going through. Congratulations!
Userlevel 6
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

Sophia's right, you'd be better off waiting because if you try to port now it will take two business days (like Tyler said) but weekends don't count so it wouldn't be active until Tuesday.
Userlevel 4
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

The last thing anyone would want is an angry pregnant woman. This is my 4th child so I am well educated how to avoid such situations lol
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

Thanks! Is the landline actually deactivated during those two days, or is that the lag between the request and the cell activation?
Userlevel 6
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

The landline will remain active until the port is completed and incoming calls will be routed to the landline phone until the transfer is completed. Outbound calls will work on the cell.
Userlevel 4
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

There is a time preiod where there is "mixed service." It's when one device can make or receive calls and ther other cannot. It genereally is a short period.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

Just to add a little more info, the main reason landline ports take longer is that they require someone to physically go out to the switching centre and disconnect the copper wires. Mobile to mobile just requires changing some setting in the computer.
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

Tyler C is right you should be fine because during the porting process you will still be able to receive calls from the landline and make calls from the cell phone until the mixed service is done then just the cell phone will receive and make calls.
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

thank you so much!!!!! I was wondering about the mixed service for landlines
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

once you receive a call from Bell begging you to come back you know the port is successful LOL
Thanks for all the info everyone. We picked up a Nexus 4 last night. The mixed service is in effect now and everything seems to be working as expected 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Steven Lyster wrote:

Thanks for all the info everyone. We picked up a Nexus 4 last night. The mixed service is in effe...

Great! Now all that's left to do is prepare for the Big Event 😃