Koodo Community
Question

How do I receive calls from USA when I'm currently out side of Canada?

How do I receive calls from USA when I'm currently out side of Canada? 

I’m currently in Asia, but I wish to receive calls from USA...I’m not sure which add-ons I should be activating...koodo bot can’t answer this question

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you enroll in Easy Roam for $12/day (paid only for days when service is used), you can use your phone as if you were in Canada.

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/easy-roam

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I assume you are a postpaid/ monthly customer. Then Easy Roam need to be added also Roaming should be on your phone too.

If you are a prepaid customer, then you can't access roaming function.

I have received easy roam activated text when I open my phone in Asia, and I have tested, I was able to call my US friend, but hes not able to call me back… I’m also not receiving call back from koodo 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have received easy roam activated text when I open my phone in Asia, and I have tested, I was able to call my US friend, but hes not able to call me back… I’m also not receiving call back from koodo 

Can other people call you without any problems?

No both my friends from Canada and from US cant reach me, they heard the ringing but I heard nothing. I have also turned my roaming on- voice and data

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

IIRC, Easy Roam work as if you are in Canada. If you make calls to USA, then there might be extra charge. (Receiving calls alway treat as local calls)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No both my friends from Canada and from US cant reach me, they heard the ringing but I heard nothing. I have also turned my roaming on- voice and data

I don't know which country you are in now. But, is there any free WIFI spots? If so, you can make calls to your friend through apps too. I always made calls to my family through messenger while I was in Japan. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@tracyy9598  Please check the following:

1. Phone compatibility Check if your phone is compatible with which of local networks at https://willmyphonework.net/ Write down the ones that have the best compatibility with your phone
  2. Your cell settings: Make sure that ‘Roaming’ is enabled in your network settings. Also, disable ‘Automatic selection of network’ and manually select one of the best compatible networks from 1. above
  3. Reboot and pray!

Good luck!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

BTW I just checked my phone at  https://willmyphonework.net/ for compatibility in Japan (as an example).

My phone may not work due to partial compatibility. In this case, I could choose to rent a local phone for the duration of my stay and use my koodo SIM (assuming your Easy Roam was activated).

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you can call your friend then your friend should be able to call you.  It could be an issue with the roaming network

I don't know which country you are in now. But, is there any free WIFI spots? If so, you can make calls to your friend through apps too. I always made calls to my family through messenger while I was in Japan. 

I’m in Taiwan trying to apply for jobs at USA, but most of the recruiters prefer calling on phones so I was trying to receive calls from USA when i’m out side of canada.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Check if your Koodo SIM works with a local (friend/family) phone. If it is a phone compatibility issue, you may need to use (rent or buy) a local phone compatible with the Chunghwa Telecom or APT networks. You may also wish to consider using a local prepaid SIM , if it is more cost effective.