Koodo Community

Community

Solved

How do I add data ? I'm at 95% and need more

6 replies

Userlevel 7
What plan is it/when did you get it? Do you know what the overage rate is? If it's an older plan it might have a better overage rate than what's offered recently. Chad Burr recently made a good suggestion about showing overage rates for grandfathered plans in Self Serve...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi Jenny, Unfortunately, you can't just add data - you'd need to change your plan to get more 😞 What plan are you currently on? Then we might be able to tell you what overages you can expect... or perhaps it might be worth your while to change plans after all.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you don't plan on regularly using more data then you don't need to do anything just keep using it and you will be billed at the overage rate you have on your plan.
In general (without knowing your plan) Koodo has fairly reasonable (yet slightly punitive) charges for going over your data plan. For arguments sake, lets say you are on the current $50 Canada wide plan that comes with 500 mb. An additional 250 meg is only $5. So for 50% more data the upcharge is only 10% of your bill. Try that with any other carrier! I will add that depending on your phone, there are some fantastic data counters for free or $1. My personal favorite on iOS is "Data Usage" by sigterm. It cost a buck or two, but has a lot of flexibility (like separate data counters if you go to the US) and has only been wrong one month in the 3 years I have been an iPhone user.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
JerryCan wrote:

In general (without knowing your plan) Koodo has fairly reasonable (yet slightly punitive) charge...

To add to that if your on Android and have a newer phone running Android 4.0 or above there's an data usage counter included in the OS, just look in the settings menu and it's the 3rd or so setting option down. You can set it to even shut your connection down or tell you when your at your limit or even when your approaching your limit.
JerryCan wrote:

In general (without knowing your plan) Koodo has fairly reasonable (yet slightly punitive) charge...

iOS has a data counter built in that is a little crappier than the one you describe, but the best thing about the app I quoted is the flexibility. The icon itself can be programmed to show you the amount of data you have used that month based on your billing cycle, how much data each app uses based on running it then running the Data Usage app, as well as a detailed history of wifi and cell data usage. Totally worth the buck. I'm sure Android has something similar (if not even that same app)