Koodo Community

how do i actiivate a new sim card in a new non koodos phone?

I bought a phone from an over seas company. It is listed to work with Koodo. I have installed the nano sim card but how do I get it activated and working. (switched from my old phone)

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you have a currently active account, just swapping in your sim card is all you need to do. Is it not working or something? Do you not have a signal on your new phone?
Badge +4
What phone is it? If you took the sim out of your old working phone from Koodo it should work in the new phone if the phone is compatible with the Koodo network. 
It's a m1 a1 and I had to buy new smaller sim card. Nothing seems to work with calling or texting yet.
Badge +4
It's a m1 a1 and I had to buy new smaller sim card. Nothing seems to work with calling or texting...Did they activate the new sim card? if they didnt you will have to call in to have it activated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It's a m1 a1 and I had to buy new smaller sim card. Nothing seems to work with calling or texting...Have you completed the swap to your new sim card then at time or purchase or at any time after over 611?

Where do I call to activate the new SIM? The easy way of visiting a store not available amid the covid-19.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Where do I call to activate the new SIM? The easy way of visiting a store not available amid the covid-19.

Are you a prepaid or postpaid customer? Do you have a SIM with you or you need a new SIM?

I’m an existing Koodo MONTHLY customer, on line ordered from Koodo new phone arrived with SIM not activated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You can contact them through Facebook or Twitter private messenger to activate your SIM. Also please start a new thread if you have additional questions, this one is several years old :)

Sorry, no Facebook, no Twitter, just email or phone...

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’m an existing Koodo MONTHLY customer, on line ordered from Koodo new phone arrived with SIM not activated.

If you are an existing customer, try your old Koodo SIM in the new phone. If you need to use the new SIM, you need to switch SIM first https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/koodo-sim-support

Thank you for reply.

I understand, that the simplest would be just to move the OLD SIM card to the new PHONE.
But I intend, for a while, occasionally use the old phone (it's a Windows 10 phone), and switching
SIM back and forth is not appealing. Eventually, I'm planning to use the old phone as a back up phone.
I figured out, that I can switch the original SIM to the new one, but that would disable the old phone.
What was the purpose of sending a non-activated SIM with the new phone?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thank you for reply.

I understand, that the simplest would be just to move the OLD SIM card to the new PHONE.
But I intend, for a while, occasionally use the old phone (it's a Windows 10 phone), and switching
SIM back and forth is not appealing. Eventually, I'm planning to use the old phone as a back up phone.
I figured out, that I can switch the original SIM to the new one, but that would disable the old phone.
What was the purpose of sending a non-activated SIM with the new phone?

You can only associate one number with one physical SIM. Koodo sent one extra SIM (non-activated SIM) as a backup in the case the old SIM doesn’t have same size as the new phone.

If you don’t want to use it, you can keep it as a spare. (it is a good thing as a replacement SIM can cost $10 or more).

This makes sense - a SIM is per NUMBER not per PHONE…  I assume, that I can use the old phone (with the old SIM) for everything except connecting to a Koodo network. Is this correct?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yep!

Thanks.

Just noticed that topic is not quite correct - should New KOODO SIM card and New KOODO phone….