Koodo Community

Community

GO BACK TO TALK AND TEXT PLANS AT REASONABLE RATES!

Not everyone needs data on their phone and they sure don't want to be forced to pay for it at the expense of the free evenings and weekends that used to be offered at much lower prices. DISAPPOINTING!!!

36 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Have you checked out Koodo 's prepaid selections? You'd be surprised how great the rates are
Userlevel 7
Okay, no need to get all worked up over this. I have some good news: there are 2 talk and text plans available but aren't advertised: $40 plan with 600 mins and evenings/weekends unlimited at 5pm and a $50 Unlimited talk and text plan with no data. If that doesn't work for you, read on. You might want to consider going over to prepaid. $15 base plan gives you no calls but you get unlimited international texting. $25 plan gives you that and Unlimited local talk after 7pm. Then you can add a $25 voice booster for 500 Canada-wide minutes. The cool part here is that boosters don't expire as long as your base plan is topped up, which is awesome. Koodo also recently offered double/double minutes and boosters back in December so who knows, there may be another offer like that in the future.
Userlevel 1
Why not just go to Chatr; $35 unlimited talk and text in Canada on the Rogers network? So long as you are usually in the Chatr zone, you're good to go.
Userlevel 7
Humberto Giambrone wrote:

Why not just go to Chatr; $35 unlimited talk and text in Canada on the Rogers network? So long a...

That works too
Userlevel 5

Why not just go to Chatr; $35 unlimited talk and text in Canada on the Rogers network? So long a...

Key words "So long as you're in a Chatr zone".
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You'd be surprised at just how many people are alright with that. The overall savings are usually worth it for many of us.
Userlevel 3
With the way the new tab is structured you won't see this implimented. You can thank the CRTC for that. The way the Tab is now structured no matter which plan and tab you choose you'll have it paid within 2 years guarenteed. Hence the pricing increase.
Userlevel 7
Rocky Balboa wrote:

With the way the new tab is structured you won't see this implimented. You can thank the CRTC for...

The issue I have with this is customers on $25/$20/$15 grandfathered plans can still upgrade and be eligible for Tab S on any phone. I'm not against that idea and it's great for customer service, but if the 24 month rule was the main reason for increasing plan prices, then they would force old customers to change their plan too. Obviously they're still making a profit on those older plans who upgrade, now imagine all the newer ones who come in and don't have as much choice...
Userlevel 5
Rocky Balboa wrote:

With the way the new tab is structured you won't see this implimented. You can thank the CRTC for...

So say someone goes tab small and keeps their existing $15 plan. After the 2 years is up, Koodo will be wiping out a $96 tab balance, because all the customer will have paid off is $54. Do some more math, and youll see that the customer will have paid a total of $360 in the 2 years. $150 of that would be a new phone, so you can see Koodo isn't making a lot off someone with a $15 plan. Especially when you consider most money is being reinvested into infrastructure.
Userlevel 7
Rocky Balboa wrote:

Koodo more than likely didn't even pay that much money for that phone, but yes, a $15 plan is very cheap. Secondly, Koodo adjusts the Tab balance each month; they don't just wipe it after 24 months. It's even in the CSA.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rocky Balboa wrote:

Koodo really needs to update that on their website instead of the 15% tab contribution sentence.
Userlevel 3
Rocky Balboa wrote:

@Jonathan every month if the Koodo contribution isn't enough for the month, Koodo adjusts the tab called "top up". This ensures the tab will be cleared within 2 years say on the $29 talk/text plan.
Rocky Balboa wrote:

Koodo has to wipe whatever negative balance is remaining once the 2 years is reached, as per the Wireless Code now.
Userlevel 3
Rocky Balboa wrote:

Yep you are correct Kane!
Rocky Balboa wrote:

Not if you bought your phone before this came into effect. You have to upgrade your phone to qualify for it whether you need or want to change phones or not. Then you are stuck with paying for another phone or staying with Kudo regardless of how good or bad their service/rates are.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rocky Balboa wrote:

Make no mistake, the only ones we have to thank for the plans are Koodo. The Wireless Code is just an excuse.
I bought my phone in May 2012 so mine doesn't go to 0 after 24 mos. They introduced that after I bought mine and it's only for newer customers. The rest of us are SOL!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Debbie Sewell wrote:

I bought my phone in May 2012 so mine doesn't go to 0 after 24 mos. They introduced that after I...

It's for anyone who upgrades their phone, not just for new customers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Debbie Sewell wrote:

I bought my phone in May 2012 so mine doesn't go to 0 after 24 mos. They introduced that after I...

They introduced this in 2013, Debbie, so your TAB still falls under the old rules. As Timo said, when you upgrade your phone, you'll qualify too for the 15% (you've got 10% now) and 24 months. Also, you won't be forced to change plans, whatever awesomeness you have now, you get to keep 🙂
Debbie Sewell wrote:

There's nothing wrong with my phone. I don't need to upgrade every five minutes. My husband and I are snowbirds so in order not to pay for the full plan for six months we are out of the country we go on the seasonal plan. They have raised the rate for that from 10.00 to 15.00 per month. For that you get to keep your phone number. You lose your plan, awesome or otherwise, and have to take what they have to offer when you come back even though it is less service for more money every year. I am very disappointed with Kudo. The only reason we went with them was the Canada Wide calling and free weekends. Many other providers are offering free Canada wide and some free North America wide calling so will have to revisit the market when we are back in Canada for the summer.
Debbie Sewell wrote:

You do not have to change your plan if you stay on Tab S when you upgrade your phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Debbie Sewell wrote:

May 2012 was 22 months ago. Hardly 5 minutes. As far as a seasonal hold, may I ask how much of a discount your landlord/mortgage holder gives you for not living in your residence 6 months of the year?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Debbie Sewell wrote:

^ Virtual Star
Debbie Sewell wrote:

Doesn't matter if it's 5 minutes or 5 years if there is absolutely nothing wrong with my phone. If I left a rented home for 6 mos. and paid full rent I would expect to come back and find the same size residence not a smaller one for more money. Koodo raised their seasonal service rate by 50% which is highway robbery since the only thing they save for you is your phone number. Not really comparable to renting an apartment in any case. If I keep paying my rent on an apartment I would expect to retain more than the address.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Debbie Sewell wrote:

Paying full rent on apartment for 6 months is equivalent to keeping your regular plan, not switching to a cheaper one for 6 months. If you pay your full plan rate with Koodo you get to keep the same one when you return as well. What you're asking to do is to pay HALF the rent on your apartment, then get the same apartment back when you return.