Koodo Community

Community

Solved

FOCUS GROUP: Back to School Initiatives

Hey everyone, I’m Christi from Koodo. Nice to meet you all! We’re working on some interesting initiatives and wanted to gather some feedback from those who are currently in school 🙂 I’ve written some question below, so I’d love to get your thoughts. Your opinions will help us make better decisions, so we appreciate your help! 1) Tell us a little bit about yourself. What level of school of are you in (high school, university/college, post grad)? Are you living at home or on your own? 2) What is most important to you in a rate plan? - Voice: how many minutes do you need? - Data: how much data do you need? 3) What’s your budget for the monthly plan? 4) Did you buy a phone with Koodo or did you bring your own phone? Which phone do you have? 5) Lastly, is there any other add-on or service that you wish Koodo offered in a plan? Thanks and I look forward to chatting with you all, Christi

65 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
1. Graduate (PhD), living on my own. 2. Voice - 500 minutes with unlimited incoming OR 1000 minutes (nationwide). Data - 1 or 2 GB. 3. $40 for 1 GB; $50 for 2 GB. 4. Due to my role as a Mobile Master, my answer here is not really applicable. But, if I wasn't an MM, I'd prefer to bring my own device. However, the 10% discount isn't incentive enough (it's cheaper to get a phone on a tab, then sell it and use it to reduce your monthly cost if you're buying your own phone elsewhere). The real BYOD discount should be 25%. 5. Monthly pricing is more important to students than any add-on. And maybe not just to students.
Ivan wrote:

1. Graduate (PhD), living on my own. 2. Voice - 500 minutes with unlimited incoming OR 1000 mi...

Thanks for sharing Ivan! If you were to bring your own device, where would you go to get it? Would be great if you could share where BYOD'ers would look to shop.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

1. Graduate (PhD), living on my own. 2. Voice - 500 minutes with unlimited incoming OR 1000 mi...

I usually get my own devices used via Kijiji, and sometimes eBay. I've also purchased from Cells R Us in Mississauga.
Ivan wrote:

$10 a month.. 50mins talk and unlimited text
Studying the second year of Business Administration at university, I mostly focus on the price of the plan. Since I'm living at home I don't need any data. Minutes of usage could be between 60 to 120 (one or two hours). My current plan has 50 minutes that I prefer to be a bit more. My budget for the plan is around $20 per month which seems to be reasonable base on the mentioned rate plan. I had my own iPhone 4 when I started doing business with Koodo. My goal is to have a low monthly payments and save some money to upgrade my phone every 2-3 years. Hope I answered most of your questions. 🙂 Thanks Navid
Navid wrote:

Studying the second year of Business Administration at university, I mostly focus on the price of...

I studied business in school too! Fun times... 🙂 Question for you on data. Do you currently use data? If so, how much?
Navid wrote:

Studying the second year of Business Administration at university, I mostly focus on the price of...

I don't use data, no need for it. I am usually at home or school, which I have access to the internet. 🙂
Navid wrote:

Got it! Makes sense. Thanks!
Userlevel 7
1. College graduate with a diploma in Correctional Services and living on my own; 2. Minutes - 500 to 1000 (including incoming calls) Data - 2 GB (Current plan only supports 1 GB); 3. Monthly budget - $50 for 2 GB; or $40 for the same plan I currently have; 4. Bought the phone with Koodo, current device is a Nexus 4; and 5. Current services I have with Koodo are all I need in a service provider. Hope that answers your questions! 🙂
Thank Daniel! Quick question for ya. When do you mostly make your calls? Is it mostly during the day vs. evening and weekend vs. weekday? Appreciate your feedback.
Userlevel 7
Christi wrote:

Thank Daniel! Quick question for ya. When do you mostly make your calls? Is it mostly during the ...

I make most of my calls during the evenings but on average I use about 100-200 minutes a month at most out of the 1000 minute plan. It's nice having incoming calls as a feature (part of a promo plan I still have), so if minutes could be decreased a tiny bit it wouldn't bother me any since I don't use my minutes that much.
Christi wrote:

Thank Daniel! Quick question for ya. When do you mostly make your calls? Is it mostly during the ...

Got it. Thanks for sharing!
1) I am currently living on my own, completing an undergraduate degree. 2) Voice: 50 easily covers it. I don't use data at the moment. 3) $35/month is my limit. 4) I bought a LG Optimus Black from Koodo. 5) Nothing I can think of off the top of my head.
Christine Spurr wrote:

1) I am currently living on my own, completing an undergraduate degree. 2) Voice: 50 easily co...

Thanks Christine!
1) I just finished first year of college, and I'll be living on my own for the next 2 years

2) I really only need a few minutes - 50 would be plenty, but Canada-wide is important because I don't go to school anywhere near my home town. 200MB of data would be great for me, as I hardly use it (wifi is plentiful nowadays). It's just great to have for navigation mostly.

3) I'd pay $30/month for 50 minutes and 200MB of data, but nothing more. 

4) Ever since my first phone I've bought and sold phone on Kijiji on average every 8 months. I like trying new things.

5) Voicemail is the only other thing that I'd be interested in. My cell is my only phone (never plan on getting a home phone because why would I have 2 phones?), and as a student I keep my phone on silent a lot. If I didn't have voicemail I would have missed 2 interviews and countless calls from my parents.

I'd just like to mention that I'm not currently with Koodo (in my naive inexperience I got a 3 year contract on my first phone which ends this August), and will be looking to ditch my current carrier asap. There aren't many affordable options for 'casual users' (few minutes and low megabytes) right now, so I think this is a great idea. Thanks for taking feedback (Virgin Mobile doesn't)!
Jeff Bastien wrote:

1) I just finished first year of college, and I'll be living on my own for the next 2 years

2) I...

Thanks for sharing, Jeff! We'll certainly consider your ideas. Quick question for you on buying phone via kijiji. I'd imagine most of those phones are locked to a carrier. Where do you normally go to unlock your phone, and roughly how much is it?
Jeff Bastien wrote:

2) I...

I get them unlocked online - cheapest I've found was $9, most expensive was $15.
1) I Just finished my 3rd of University, and I live away from home (with roomates) during the school year. 2) - Voice: I don't need too much voice... maybe 150? - Data: I have a super old shared plan so I don't know how much I need yet, but looking at the current plans I'm thinking 300-500mb 3) I'm not willing to pay more the 60$ a month 4) I have an almost 3 year old Blackberry Bold 9780, but my eye is towards the Iphone 5s 5) If anything, maybe some sort of add-on to avoid roaming? (I sometimes am close to the U.S border) Thanks so much for taking the time to ask 🙂
Victoria wrote:

1) I Just finished my 3rd of University, and I live away from home (with roomates) during the sch...

Thanks Victoria. Appreciate your feedback!
Victoria wrote:

1) I Just finished my 3rd of University, and I live away from home (with roomates) during the sch...

I would also like to add that my sister currently has an old 55$ plan that has unlimited incoming calling along with 1GB data. If Koodo offered that plan with that price again, I know myself (and I'm sure many others) will scoop up that plan!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Victoria wrote:

Victoria, you can manually select Koodo's network on your phone to avoid accidental roaming.
Victoria wrote:

Good to know, thanks Ivan!
Andrew Ydenberg wrote:

$40/month AFTER tax is my limit. Evenings and Weekends with 200 Minutes +1Gb of Data. Give us...

Thanks for the feedback Andrew. Agree with you on your sentiment on CID & VM. For all our current in market Canada-wide plans, they are included as part of the plan.
1. In high school living with my parents. 2. I need minutes more than I need a lot of data. 3. About 40- 45 a month is the highest I would go. 4. Bought it from koodo, Samsung galaxy S2x 5. No not that i can think of at the moment but other companies have better plans to go with newer smart phones rather than having to get a 70 dollar monthly plan for it.
Smileyface wrote:

1. In high school living with my parents. 2. I need minutes more than I need a lot of data. 3. ...

Thanks Kalya. How many minutes and data do you currently use/ need?