Koodo Community
Solved

fee for making collect call while traveling in the US

I am traveling in the US with no addon services but I need to make a collect call back to Canada, will I be charged any fees?
icon

Best answer by David AKU 14 December 2018, 18:52

I suggest simply making the call (not collect). You will pay at the per-minute rate, which includes tolls. The individual would then not need to pay for the collect call charges.

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
No. When a collect call is made, the receiving party accepts 100% of the charges.
I thought there was a $1.50/min charge when placing outgoing calls while traveling.. Does that NOT include making collect calls?
Thank you for your time and explanations.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
So I looked into it to be sure, and it turns out thst you do indeed pay for the roaming call. You wouldn't pay for long distance charges if you call collect on top of the roaming fee but you'd still pay for the roaming.

Alternatively you can use Skype or Fongo or a similar voip service to place the call from WiFi so you don't pay.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I suggest simply making the call (not collect). You will pay at the per-minute rate, which includes tolls. The individual would then not need to pay for the collect call charges.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

So I looked into it to be sure, and it turns out thst you do indeed pay for the roaming call. You wouldn't pay for long distance charges if you call collect on top of the roaming fee but you'd still pay for the roaming.

Alternatively you can use Skype or Fongo or a similar voip service to place the call from WiFi so you don't pay.

There are no long distance fees over and above the roaming charges for calling back to Canada. You'd be paying the same whether you call collect or not.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Hello Linda! When making or receiving a call, calling your voicemail, sending a text a message or using your mobile data, roaming charges do apply.
When you have easy roam activated, you only get charged the flat fee of $8 if you are in the US and $12 if you are in any other country covered by easy roam.
If you would like to avoid all charges then I would suggest using an app like whatsapp on a Wifi network.
Thank you for reaching out on us on community 🙂