Koodo Community
Question

family calling

my husband and I have koodo canada wide plans. does that mean that he can call me from anywhere in Canada when he goes away for free?

This topic has been closed for comments

17 replies

Userlevel 6
If you are both on the same account yes. Unlimited calls between the 2 of you.
Userlevel 5
Canada Wide Plans mean that you can call anyone in Canada without long distance rates. These minutes will use your normal bucket minutes, but you will not be charged for long distance. Usually with other companies like Telus, Rogers and Bell; their plans are not Canada-wide. So that means, for example, if you live in British Columbia and you call someone in Ottawa; you will face long distance charges. With Koodo, you don't. You only get unlimited calls if you guys are on the same account. Other than that, you can use your unlimited evenings and weekends to call each other if you have that on your plan.
I have my phone under my husband's account. We have Unlimited Family Local calling. To get away with long distance charges when one of us is away from home, we add ourselves to each other's Five Essential List. it takes up a Five Essential spot but works beautifully. I just switched to the Easter promo Canada-wide Talk and Text plan. This plan is supposed to provide Unlimited Canada-wide Family Calling. I'm just re-reading the info that I saved after switching the plan where it compares the old and new plans. The info is showing Unlimited Family Local Calling under the new plan. I wonder if it's a typo. Does anyone have any similar experiences? I am ready to switch my husband's old plan to this Easter promo plan as well sho would like to clarify this Unlimited Canada-wide Family Calling feature. Wonder if I should contact Koodo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I have my phone under my husband's account. We have Unlimited Family Local calling. To get away...P Smith, If both you and your husband are on the same account, you have indeed unlimited Canada wide calling between the two of you regardless of what plan you're on 🙂 Edit: Oh hang on it says LOCAL calling??? Ack, I missed that... I don't think you need to call Koodo as there are several here who are very knowledgeable... don't take my word for it just yet though! Hoping someone will chime in soon with an accurate answer 😃
I have my phone under my husband's account. We have Unlimited Family Local calling. To get away...I wonder if Koodo has changed all Family Calling to Canada-wide Family Calling. Any idea?
I have my phone under my husband's account. We have Unlimited Family Local calling. To get away...I checked Koodo site again. Apparently they have a line of plans called CITY KOODO UNLIMITED LOCAL CALLING with Unlimited Local Family Calling. May be a call to Koodo is warranted after all.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I have my phone under my husband's account. We have Unlimited Family Local calling. To get away...Oooh you haven't changed to City Koodo have you? That is the only plan (except the iPhones plans) which is local only... if you switched to any of the other plans, you';re good to go and your calls between you and your husband will be free Canada wide!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you have a Canada Wide plan, Canada becomes your local area. This is the best answer I got from this community.
If you have a Canada Wide plan, Canada becomes your local area. This is the best answer I got fr...Sounds like it except that the documentation I saved after I switched to Canada-wide Talk and Text is showing Unlimited Local Family Calling. I'll wait a bit to see if anyone else has more to say before calling Koodo. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
P. Smith I read your first letter carefuly again. So you and your husband had CITY KOODO plan under same account. Now you already switched to Canada-wide plan, and thinking to change your husband's plan to Canada wide,,, I say go for it. Specialy with this promo it's so worth it.
kin shou was correct. My husband and I were both on old plans with Unlimited Local Family Calling. I switched to Canada-wide Talk and Text today. It just occurred to me that the reason my change plan info sheet is still showing Unlimited Local Family Calling instead of Unlimited Canada-wide Family Calling might be because my husband is still on the old Unlimited Local Family Calling plan. So I assume that if I switch my husband to one of the Canada-wide Talk and Text plans, we should be able to call each other free no matter where we are in Canada. It sounds convoluted but that sounds feasible. I will switch my husband's plan and see how it goes. Worst case scenario is a phone call to Koodo or visit to a Koodo kiosk. Thanks everyone for your input.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
kin shou was correct. My husband and I were both on old plans with Unlimited Local Family Call...Sorry about all the confusion 🙂 I'm pretty sure (99.99% in fact) that when you are both on the Canada wide plan and on the same account, you will be able to call each other for free all over Canada. Good luck with the change 😃
kin shou was correct. My husband and I were both on old plans with Unlimited Local Family Call...Sounds like it's not the end of the story yet. So no need to apologize, Sophia. I was in the process of switching my husband's plan. When I selected the Canada-wide Talk and Text 35 plan, it does show Unlimited Local Family Calling under the New Plan Services column. I am not sure if it is just a matter of Koodo not updating the 'change plan' webpages or not. I got worried and backed out of the plan change process. I will make a call to Koodo tomorrow anyway. Feeling a bit frustrated now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
kin shou was correct. My husband and I were both on old plans with Unlimited Local Family Call...Please let us know the outcome Mrs Smith, I am uncertain now and wouldn't want to give false information in the future. I don't blame you for feeling frustrated! Please keep in mind though that the double offer expires on the 1st, you wouldn't want to miss out on that...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Unlimited local calling refers to the 'anytime minutes' included in your plan, meaning that you will not be charged minutes but long distance will be charged at the standard rate for your plan. For a canada wide plan this is $0.00 to anywhere in canada. In other words, as was previously stated, all of canada is a local call.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Unlimited local calling refers to the 'anytime minutes' included in your plan, meaning that you w...Oh THANK you Timo for clearing that up 🙂 I was fairly certain, but now I KNOW 🙂
Called Koodo and cleared things up. With Canada-wide plan, as Timo had pointed out, the whole Canada becomes the local area. So Unlimited Local Family Calling has become Unlimited Canada-wide Family Calling for people on Canada-wide plans. Just switched my husband to Canada-wide Plan as well. Now we can talk to each other for free no matter where we are in Canada using the Unlimited Canada-wide Family Calling feature instead of the Five Essential add-on. Thank you to all who have pitched in for help.