Koodo Community

Community

Expand your cell service to US!

27 replies

Do yo mean Canada and US would be one local calling area ?
Bring company to US (have cell coverage in US and phones, etc.)
Userlevel 1
Jenn Smeeton wrote:

USA/CANADA are all compatible Networks, Bring your Koodo Phone to the States with appropriate USA Plan/add-ons and use Koodo SIM, or unlock it before you travel and buy USA SIM. and enjoy your trip
Userlevel 6
Jenn Smeeton wrote:

Not sure you got it right Mat. From the sounds of it, Jenn is an American wishing Koodo would expand its services and products over to the US territory, not someone on vacation in the US. If that is the case Jenn, well, it's highly doubtful you'll see Koodo kiosks in the US soon (or later). Koodo is a subsidiary of Telus, which I don't think operates in the USA outside of roaming deals with local US carriers. Sorry 😞
Userlevel 1
Jenn Smeeton wrote:

I perfectly Understood the question, I'm just explaining to him that for the moment due to the fact that we cannot tell him if Koodo is intending to expand internationally (Koodo is a canadian company), so no poster can convince Koodo to take the risc of competing with those sharks companies in USA unless I'm wrong or if you have some background on this that I am not aware of, please share it on this Forum.
Userlevel 6
Jenn Smeeton wrote:

Wow... sorry Mat! You say you understood the question perfectly? What question? There wasn't even a question, it was an idea/suggestion from Jenn. You specifically said at the end of your reply to Jenn "[i]unlock it before you travel and buy USA SIM. and enjoy your trip" which is clearly what we need to tell someone inquiring about travelling to the US with a Koodo phone. However, Jenn's post did [i]not sound like someone simply travelling, but rather like someone living there and wishing Koodo would sell their services over there, hence the point of my reply. Sorry to have offended you Mat, and I will not intervene in your posts/replies again.
Userlevel 1
Jenn Smeeton wrote:

No man!... I'm a cool person, I always welcome any constructive and objective critics with an open heart, we're all here to answer posters questions, we're like solid team, more than simple posters, I hope Koodo can do something to expand to USA or even Mexico, those snow birds will be delighted! lol...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jenn Smeeton wrote:

One more thing Mat, I'm thinking Jennifer is a her not a him lol
Userlevel 1
Jenn Smeeton wrote:

Ack KA, I was missing that 'ifer" thx
Which network does Koodoo use in us
Userlevel 4
Jenn Smeeton wrote:

Whichever one is available. At&t, T-Mobile, I'm pretty sure Verizon. The guaratee of service is not there when you are in the USA using the Koodo service.
Jenn Smeeton wrote:

Generally AT&T and T-Mobile
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jenn Smeeton wrote:

I think Verizon is just for CDMA devices.
Userlevel 7
Jenn Smeeton wrote:

You'll roam on t mobile, att, us celluar, and a hand full of micro carriers. Forget Verizon. Won't happen.
My BB 9300 picks up AT&T when I'm in Washington or Oregon. Yes, it would be great if there were some sort of seamless transition to US coverage. $1.50 a minute roaming is a PITA, as are the various limited time options that Koodo offers that never seem to coincide with the duration of my trip. I've also tried a Roam mobility sim but get weary of taking my phone apart every time I cross the border. Plus my Canadian minutes go to waste when I'm in the US. I don't feel like getting an AT&T sim and having another account to keep track of. I don't know what the solution is but it would sure be nice to have a phone that works on either side of the border without complication. Maybe a reciprocal deal with AT&T for their US customers travelling in Canada? To the best of my knowledge the technology is not the problem; I bet if somebody offered it the other companies would soon follow. So yeah, a good NA wide monthly plan would be a major advance and would probably be very popular with many customers.
Userlevel 7
daved wrote:

My BB 9300 picks up AT&T when I'm in Washington or Oregon. Yes, it would be great if there were ...

I've asked for this but it doesn't seem to be in their immediate plans. So my solution for now is I unlock all my phones and I use T-Mobile in the states. It's only 3$ per day for unlimited calls and unlimited data (first 200 mb at up to 4g). The only drawback is when the phone roams off of T-Mobile, you loose data services. I'm normally east of the Mississippi so that hasn't been a problem. To make calls into Canada I use Google voice. it's free but it does need data to assign alternate numbers to your Canadian numbers. For instance my wife is in the 819 area code Google voice reassign her number to a usa area code which I can then save. When I want to call her I just call the local usa number. I would gladly pay 50$ a month extra to koodo to just allow me to use my plan in the states but alas it's not yet happened. Sadly the options for roaming offered leave much to be desired. But who knows, koodo listens to their customers so you may see something appear in the future. Oquatanginwann
Userlevel 5
Koodo is a Canadian cell phone company so I'm unsure if they will ever expand to the US. They do have roaming in the US but it is very expensive. Thanks for being interested in Koodo but I think it's best if you sign up with an American cell phone company instead.
I hope Koodo never expands into the US. That's additional laws that Koodo has to follow and I doubt they want to deal with that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Even if Telus ever chose to expand past our borders, I highly doubt that they'd use their discount brand. Honestly, I don't see any of our carriers doing business abroad. They're well protected here.
Also, I hope Koodo doesn't expand into the US. I would never want Koodo agents to have to deal with American customers.
Userlevel 7
AlexiKrov wrote:

Also, I hope Koodo doesn't expand into the US. I would never want Koodo agents to have to deal wi...

What's wrong with Americans?
AlexiKrov wrote:

Also, I hope Koodo doesn't expand into the US. I would never want Koodo agents to have to deal wi...

American customers are the most rudest, disrespectful, ignorant, arrogant customers I have ever had the displeasure of servicing. If you think Candians are bad for "gimme gimmie gimmie", American customers are 10x worse. Sure, not all American customers are like that, but a good, large portion of them are.
Userlevel 7
AlexiKrov wrote:

Are you still working in customer service through a call centre?
Userlevel 1
AlexiKrov wrote:

Americans are coming to us with Verizon intending to take over Canadian Wind Mobile!
AlexiKrov wrote:

Yes, for Comcast & I have dealt with American customers on a personal level(Going out to install the modems).