Koodo Community
Solved

Europe and Koodo

• 30 May 2019
  • 3 replies

Family is traveling to Italy/Greece for 3 weeks. 2 of us are with Koodo & 1 with Telus (work-plan). Colleagues have advised us to purchase a Vodafone hotspot dongle (15gb) and to have all 3 phones link to it when wifi is not available/strong enough. Just have a couple of questions about this approach.
  1. Do our Koodo phones need to be unlocked to access this hot-spot? If yes, I guess that is doable via self-serve. One phone is an Iphone 6 and the other Galaxy A8.
  2. Does this allow us to call/text (to/from) Canada via the standard phone/text or only via What's app or messenger?
Any other advice?
Thanks in advance to all.
icon

Best answer by Goran 30 May 2019, 19:25

No your phone never has to be unlocked to access wifi. I'd unlock your phone's for free now anyways in case you choose to get your own sim cards or a different solution is needed for future travel.

Keep in mind any phone sold after December 2017 will be unlocked.

It's a wifi connection so you'd only be able to use messaging apps. You could always download something like Fongo or use voip.ms to get a Canadian number for free or close to free in order to make and receive calls via data to Canadian phones.
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
No your phone never has to be unlocked to access wifi. I'd unlock your phone's for free now anyways in case you choose to get your own sim cards or a different solution is needed for future travel.

Keep in mind any phone sold after December 2017 will be unlocked.

It's a wifi connection so you'd only be able to use messaging apps. You could always download something like Fongo or use voip.ms to get a Canadian number for free or close to free in order to make and receive calls via data to Canadian phones.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
  1. No. The hotspot is just a wifi device that uses the Voda phone cellular network. Your phones will connect to it just like another other wifi
  2. No. SInce the hotspot only provides wifi, you can only use data based apps like Whatsapp and facebook messenger. Regular cellular talk and text will not work with the hotspot device. If you are looknig to only use the hotspot, make sure you phone is in airplaine mode (and then turn on wifi) or take our your sim to prevent any accidental roaming
Family is traveling to Italy/Greece for 3 weeks. 2 of us are with Koodo & 1 with Telus (work-plan). Colleagues have advised us to purchase a Vodafone hotspot dongle (15gb) and to have all 3 phones link to it when wifi is not available/strong enough. Just have a couple of questions about this approach.
  1. Do our Koodo phones need to be unlocked to access this hot-spot? If yes, I guess that is doable via self-serve. One phone is an Iphone 6 and the other Galaxy A8.
  2. Does this allow us to call/text (to/from) Canada via the standard phone/text or only via What's app or messenger?
Any other advice?
Thanks in advance to all.

Thanks Goran and Dennis for your help.
Just got back yesterday and thought I would let you know what we did.
  • Landed in Italy (Rome) and Vodafone hotspot not available anymore.
  • Purchased a 25 Euro 40gb SIM through TIM for wife and son which was more than enough for the 22 days, including a week in Greece.
  • Phones were unlocked and they had great service throughout except while in Naples but this was due to location of BnB (all neighbours were always outside to use their phone).
  • I used site wifi or wifes SIM via hotpsot.
  • I kept my Koodo phone on airplane mode and activated WIFI only.
  • When going from Italy to Greece, their phones had to turn data roaming ON for their SIM to access WIND as a carrier.
  • Received messages from Koodo that our phones were actively roaming, as usual.
Cost 3 of us 80$ Cdn for 22 days and access to google maps which was really helpful.

Thanks again guys.
Mtl514