Koodo Community

Community

Easy Roam over $100 limit

So I will be going to Japan for 2 weeks in November and this new Easy Roam feature seems like a very good feature that I'll use for my trip. Since my trip is going to 14 days, I was wondering what will happen once I pass the $100 limit. Will I be able to continue using Easy Roam at no charge (like Fido & Rogers) or will I be reverted back to pay per use for my remaining 4 days?

13 replies

Userlevel 6
You can continue to use you plan as normal. The charges are capped at $100, the usage isn’t. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Techjunkie wrote:

You can continue to use you plan as normal. The charges are capped at $100, the usage isn’t. :)

*for the billing period.
If you billing period ends during your trip, your EasyRoam is reset.

Userlevel 6
Techjunkie wrote:

You can continue to use you plan as normal. The charges are capped at $100, the usage isn’t. :)

Ah crap. Yes. Forgot to mention that. I was doing 3 other things when I posted that.
Userlevel 4
Techjunkie wrote:

@Jasper

It would be a good idea to start your trip at the beginning of your biling cycle or at least 15 days before biling cycle ends to be on a safe side.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Techjunkie wrote:

If you go to Japan for short trip, then you don't find local SIM like we do.
They have different service style about mobile.
They don't do much of sms, most ppl communicate through apps and voice.

I get a rental hotspot/Wifi  every time I go to Japan and communicate with my Japanese friends through Line or Messenger.  I don't/can't text or call to my family/friends in Canada, but I'm still able to comunicate with them through Email/apps.
Userlevel 4
Techjunkie wrote:

Hi to All,

From a business point of view or life and death situation (being constantly in touch with someone) local sim card is not always an option. In those circumstances I understand roaming is a viable option. For any other reason local sim, if available, is the best option unless you have fat wallet. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Techjunkie wrote:

Local is always an option if you keep a VoIP like Fongo. I use it for travel only.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Techjunkie wrote:

Local is always an option if you keep a VoIP like Fongo. I use it for travel only.
Userlevel 4
Techjunkie wrote:

@Ivan

Can you explain how you use Fongo while travelling abroad?  I only know how free version work locally in Canada.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Techjunkie wrote:

Fongo works when you have access to internet (locally or abroad). Texting is extra $ but cheap. When you are traveling, you could buy a local SIM with data plan, and forward your Canadian number to Fongo (with the forwarding addon) so all call will forward to fongo, you could also use Fongo to call Canadian number free while traveling. The only problem is texting. Your contacts need to send text to your fongo number, or you will need t another phone to see incoming texts from your cell number.

Another step to remember is to set forwarding call while you are in Canada, don't set it while you are abroad. 🙂
Userlevel 4
Techjunkie wrote:

@Azure123

That indeed can be a good alternative for those with financial restraints and looking for a great roaming savings
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Techjunkie wrote:

It's what I do as well. I'm not even that concerned with the texting. I give my Fongo number or I just text from whatever local sim card I'm using as more and more people have international texting included. That's if they don't use messaging services. There aren't may left that don't in Canada.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
potato wrote:

Why pay $100 + the already ridiculous monthly price instead of getting a SIM Card there? The pric...

No one obliges you to get that, you can unlock your phone and take whatever suits you most. Some people like keeping they own number while traveling.