Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Does Koodo offer home phone service with a smart hub or something?

A friend told me that Koodo does offer home phone over the cell network. But I can't find home phone service on Koodo's web site.

34 replies

Userlevel 7
Your friend is misinformed. Koodo doesn't do any wireless home phone service. You're thinking of Rogers/Fido. They're identically priced at $25 ($10 if you're already their customer) for unlimited Canada-wide calls and call display/voicemail included. Optional features are $10 for 5,000 US minutes, and $2 for Call forwarding, call waiting, conference calling. There's a few international add-ons too. Fido is the better one because it has no limitations on eligibility. Rogers stipulates that you cannot be in their cable footprint to get the service.
Logically speaking, if you can't find a service on Koodo's website, that means they do not offer it.
Just picked up a promo from the Koodo store for Wireless Home Phone! Cost is $20/month, plus $50 for hub & sim card.  (June 7/16)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Brian McNichol wrote:

Just picked up a promo from the Koodo store for Wireless Home Phone! Cost is $20/month, plus $50 ...

Do you mean Fido? Koodo absolutely does not offer the service and especially not the equipment
Brian McNichol wrote:

Just picked up a promo from the Koodo store for Wireless Home Phone! Cost is $20/month, plus $50 ...

Your information is out-dated. My information, supplied above, is timely and accurate. Check it out before accusing anyone of being an idiot.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Brian McNichol wrote:

At no point above did I accuse you of being an idiot. And I stand corrected: it's right there on the main page today. This thread is also 2 years old
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Brian McNichol wrote:

Seems to be available in Ontario and east.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Brian McNichol wrote:

Quebec is included as well.
Userlevel 1
Brian McNichol wrote:

Making progress. Maybe we'll get tablets at some point too.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Brian McNichol wrote:

I see little point in Koodo offering tablets for sale. Unless you mean data only sims?
Userlevel 1
Brian McNichol wrote:

I mean tablets. I commute a lot, and I often find that my favourite device for reading news or watching videos is one with a larger screen.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Brian McNichol wrote:

Koodo doesn't subsidize devices anymore. The best you can get is up to 50 dollars off, and it's usually less. That's why I see little point.
Userlevel 1
Brian McNichol wrote:

I have no problem paying off a tablet in installments a la the current tab system. The service may not be for everyone but Fido and Virgin have both shown that there is a market for it. It may not be up your alley, but it hurts nobody to at least have the choice available.
Userlevel 7
Brian McNichol wrote:

Koodo can barely sell phones online and don't offer data only plans either. I don't see the point of them offering this service until they can sell all phones online, especially when it will most likely be very limited demand
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'm curious to learn why folks would choose to have a cellular-based home phone instead of a landline?  What advantages do you see of one or the other?

I see advantage in having two forms of network connectivity, as if one fails, the other is there as a backup. 

Thoughts?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David wrote:

I'm curious to learn why folks would choose to have a cellular-based home phone instead of a land...

My guess is the price point. I agree in your assessment as well personally. Land lines still work in a general power outage.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David wrote:

I'm curious to learn why folks would choose to have a cellular-based home phone instead of a land...

We have never been in a situation of life and death which coincided with a power outage, so we're not worried about that. Sure it could happen, but then again a plane can drop on our head too... you can't worry about every possible scenario. Besides our current cordless system doesn't work without power anyway.

Our main reason to move over is cutting cost. We'll be going down from a $45+ bill to $20 exactly... with more calling features and unique extras such as portability. 

We're 99% sold on the idea, the remaining 1% depends on how the call quality compares to our current landline.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David wrote:

I keep a basic corded phone actually for that situation.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David wrote:

It'll be a niche feature for sure... some won't cut their landline because of having to use a fax, or an alarm system, or because they are dependent on 100% reliability. This system is definitely not for them.

Others have cut the cord years ago, only using a cell phone and never looked back. This system is not for them either.

I guess it is mostly for people who still kept a landline out of convenience (multiple handsets scattered throughout a two story house, in our case), but who are happy they are finally able to cut the cord (and cost) without giving up the luxury of talking through a "real" phone.
Userlevel 1
David wrote:

Out of curiosity, has there ever been issues with certain handsets not cooperating with a cellular solution? I only ask because I'm considering this for my folks and they have an older Panasonic headset.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David wrote:

From what I heard it should work with any tone based system. The only phones that won't work are the old "click" types with a dial, but I don't think there are many of those around anymore 😛
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David wrote:

I have 3 rotary phones 😛
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David wrote:

@Goran, What do your grandkids think of those? @Sophia, Why not consider a phone set that interconnects with your cellphone? Plug the phone in to charge, and use regular handsets throughout the house for your calls through your existing cellular contract?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David wrote:

That's a lovely idea....... however....... I'm a Die Hard Prepaid fan, my monthly prepaid costs are almost always well below $20. This construction is still way cheaper than move to one of the unlimited plans with (mostly) a whole big chunk of useless data 🙂

Edit: our Panasonic actually does have a bluetooth connection to the cellphone but the quality is just dreadful...... about as bad as VOIP (which we also tried).
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David wrote:

dfbutt I'll let you know in hopefully 25 years or so! I'll keep one, sell the others. They're worth a bit nowadays.