Koodo Community
Solved

Do plans vary per type of phone?

I was just wondering if prices differ because of certain phones. I would be bringing in an unlocked 8GB Iphone 4. People with other providers that I know of (like bell) say that plans for Iphone cost extra or start at like 50$ for iPhone. This might be a dumb question

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Not at all! You can choose any plan on any phone you bring to Koodo!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The only time you'll be obligated to choose a plan is if you're on tab L
Thank you! (I guess I really am a noob ahaha)
Userlevel 5
The only time you'll be obligated to choose a plan is if you're on tab LWhich a lot of the members highly not recommend because they are really expensive and not worth it. Tab M is usually the best way to go.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Nope, you're not. No question is dumb! 😛 Have a nice day
Userlevel 7
Also, by bringing your own phone to use on Koodo, you can save 10% on any plan you choose!
Userlevel 7
The reason why they said that is because they got a subsidized iPhone from their carrier and there are rules/stipulations. Rogers/Bell/Telus all mandated $50 plans back in the 3 year contract days to get an iPhone at a subsidized price and now they require $70 plans on 2 year agreements for high end phones. It varies by carrier what their rules/subsidies are. It usually depends on the value of a device and its age; ie the Nexus 4 is still a good phone but it's being replaced, so the carriers are lowering price/plan requirements and retailers get.gift cards to hand out as a bonus. Generally the same thing happens to most devices but only to an extent. Since you are providing your own phone to use, there are no plan restrictions on any carrier. In fact if you don't want/need data, I'd hate to play devil's advocate here, but I would actually go with Rogers or Bell. They have a $35 Unlimited Canada-wide Talk and Text plan for BYOD. The only thing is you don't get international texts standard (if that's important to you).