Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Different plans across the provinces..

Userlevel 5
Why do carriers, like Koodo, offer different plans in different provinces? Shouldn't the only thing that's different just be the taxes?

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
They are facing stronger competition in those provinces. Most of us are displeased with this (to put it mildly), but that's the answer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
MTS and SaskTel in MB/SK And Videotron in QC. So Harper was right, more competition does lower pricing. But the competition needs to have networks of more than just a zone of one city here and there. The competition needs to have decent coverage at least province wide
Userlevel 6
If you ask me it's just a reaction to what MTS and Sasktel is doing. Not sure but I think it was the local carriers that introduced those prices in those province and the others have followed. Stupid move from MTS and Saktel from a business perspective. I get this is good for us customers, but from their perspective they now eliminated a ton of potential revenue that they could have gotten without lowering prices. I have a business, and ultimately my goal is to maximize the profit we make. Any way possible that helps me gain marketshare at the highest possible price. Simple economics drive by capitalistic needs. 🙂
Userlevel 6
Chris Petersens wrote:

If you ask me it's just a reaction to what MTS and Sasktel is doing. Not sure but I think it was ...

I have a business, and ultimately my goal is to maximize the profit we make. Any way possible that helps me gain marketshare at the highest possible price. Simple economics drive by capitalistic needs. :-)

Well, I don't know what kind of business you run, Chris, but you definitely should consider starting to erect towers and have your own carrier :oP That's where the money is! Oh, and capitalistic needs don't exist. Capitalistic wants, on the other hand, do!
Chris Petersens wrote:

If you ask me it's just a reaction to what MTS and Sasktel is doing. Not sure but I think it was ...

...driven by greediness. I fixed the sentence for you.
Userlevel 6
Chris Petersens wrote:

I don't think cellphone business is for me.....way too much up front money (putting up towers) and only a slight chance to make money or not at all, public, mobi, wind....accountants for example have far lower overhead and far greater profit. Well, good ones anyways. 🙂
Userlevel 6
Chris Petersens wrote:

Chris, why do you put Public in the same basket as Wind and Mobi? Public has a mature 4G network while the other 2 have a much smaller footprint. Do you think Public will not make it?
Userlevel 6
Chris Petersens wrote:

Public already made it. They sold out to Telus. So, funding is no longer issue for them. I was thinking prior to telus buying them. It wasn't looking good. They sold for cheap compared to what clearnet and microcell sold for in the early 2000.
Userlevel 6
Chris Petersens wrote:

Selling out to Telus is one thing, Chris.  Whether or not Telus will keep them alive is another.  I hope they do, though!
Userlevel 6
Chris Petersens wrote:

I can't see why they wouldn't. As far as I can tell public attracted a different demographics (based on their original ads etc.) than telus.