Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Deactivation for senior usage

My parents currently have an unlimited $50 plan , as my dad (87 years old) used his cell phone a LOT when he has hospital stays. When he is home, he never uses it. Question 1: Is there a way I can de-activate or have like a $10 plan until he needs the coverage again? Question 2: I will re-activate it for them, so I need to be able to do it remotely as I am three hours away. Is this something I can do through self serve? It's a very basic phone with no sim card. Thanks in advance!

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi Kari, Unfortunately, the $10 plan is only for people who travel out of Canada, but I suggest you give them a call and explain your situation... I know Koodo is extremely lenient. IF they grant you the seasonal hold plan, please note that you can't go back to your Dad's previous plan... you'd have to pick a new $50 plan (but they are unlimited too, so that shouldn't make too big of a difference to him). To answer your second question, yes, you can change his plans through self service, if you have access to his account 🙂
Userlevel 6
There is a temporary de-activation option called the Seasonal Hold for $10 per month. It's technically only an option for customers who are leaving the country for at least a month and don't want to use Koodo's roaming services during that time period. Koodo might be able to make an exception for your parents. Keep in mind, though, all services will be disabled and this constitutes a plan change, so if you parents have grandfathered plans they won't be able to get them back. Also the Seasonal hold auto-expires after six months.
Thanks. I can't find it in the Add-Ons. Is it called something else?
Userlevel 6
Kari Forrest wrote:

Thanks. I can't find it in the Add-Ons. Is it called something else?

It's actually a plan, but you have to contact Koodo's customer service to add it. It's not available online.
That's weird. When I called the 1-866 number, they said I could add it online through Monthly Plans/Add-Ons, and I could also, when needed, remove it through the Self-Serve option.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Kari Forrest wrote:

That's weird. When I called the 1-866 number, they said I could add it online through Monthly Pl...

They must have misunderstood, Kari 😞 Because it is a special plan not available to the general public, as Curtules said you definitely need to call in to get it... but you can go back to regular plan again using self service.
Kari Forrest wrote:

That's weird. When I called the 1-866 number, they said I could add it online through Monthly Pl...

Ok, thanks.