Koodo Community

Data overages

• 2 March 2021
  • 6 replies

Got dinged on my first and second bill with data overages.  Didn’t even know the phone was using data. It is connected to my wifi so how that happened is beyond me? I didn’t pay for the data block on the number when it was with Telus so why would it cost me on a “discount” service provider?  It would have been courteous, and let’s say “Customer-focused”, had I been warned when I switched from Telus to Koodo that this service was discontinued.  How do you guys say you put customers first with a straight face? 

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

How much data did your phone use and which app used it? Did you disable cellular data in your phone? Phone still can access to cellular data if your wifi signal had issue or out of range.

If your plan have data included, there is a “shocked free data” block to block it. However, if your plan didnot include any data, you are on your own in blocking data. you could choose to buy a data block add-on or carefully block all data usage in the phone.

Regarding the “Koodo discounted” carrier comment, they might have discounts in other area and have less customer service than Telus. There are, of course, many things that Koodo do to make customers “happy” but they are a business anyway. I would suggest you check the service agreement, their feature, and pricing to make sure you got what you wanted.

Badge +4

The data block was free here too at one time. Then it was $2 and then increased to $3. TELUS charges the same price for their data block.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/01/23/telus-raising-price-data-blocking-add-on-2-99/

I got the data block free from Telus. 

The phone is connected to wifi at all times. It must be disconnecting? Because the usage shows .01 MB at one time of day than later at night another .03MB, or another .01 MB when I am sleeping, until finally, it hits the MB threshold and the $10 overage charge kicks in.

When I saw the  $10 overage charge on the first bill, I checked the phone and saw cellular data turned on. Since I had a data block when I was with Telus, I didn’t need to check it.

By this time, the phone has used 4 MB of data in the new billing cycle. Great. Another $10 charge for literally doing nothing. 

So you know what, Dinh, these charges are 100%  my fault. I was not eternally vigilant when dealing with these guys, and now I have to pay.  Does that sound like a great customer service experience to you? 

Which brings me to my point: “Customers first” is laughable. False advertising at minimum. I can’t find the consumer report, but I read once that Telus was boasting that they have 15% less customer complaints to the CTRC than any other telecommunication provides in Canada.  So it’s a good thing you have less angry customers? 

I understand businesses need to make money; check a shareholder report and you will see Telus/Bell/Rogers etc are doing fine and dandy.

But it is coming at a cost to customers.   I work with elderly people. If you want to see an egregious abuse of customers who have been with the cell phone providers for sometimes up to 20 years, just look at that demograhic,

If I was a Customer First, then:  

A - the Telus rep who switched me to Koodo would have mentioned the data block was being removed from my account. 

B - the Telus rep who switched me to Koodo could have said, Hey, you’re not protected anymore...better double check your general settings data block is on after you reboot your phone.

C - As soon as the data started costing me money, the network should have sent me a text saying so. At least I could have prevented the second $10 charge. But, no, they only have the notification at $25. Great. Glad I could contribute to another profitable revenue stream of the corp at my personal expense. What is that catch phrase. Do more with less? I’m doing less and it’s costing me more. 

Anyways, it’s a colossal waste of energy engaging in this unethical system.  I only bring it up on the off chance somebody in the ranks is reading and does care that customers are constantly slipping through the cracks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I got the data block free from Telus. 

Telus is a bit of a different beast.  They are the flagship company in the family and usually costs a bit more.  This is why there is more room to “negotiate” freebies like a free data block or have the free data block grandfathered in if you were able to get it when it was a free at the time.

Which brings me to my point: “Customers first” is laughable. False advertising at minimum. I can’t find the consumer report, but I read once that Telus was boasting that they have 15% less customer complaints to the CTRC than any other telecommunication provides in Canada.  So it’s a good thing you have less angry customers? 

I dont think Telus advertises “Customer first”.  At least I know Koodo does not.  And if Telus does mention it, it might be in things like their Annual report to shareholders, etc.  Honestly I would take marketing things like that in an annual report with a grain of salt.  Telus does seem to have less complains according to the data and reporting when compared to the other providers, but less complaints hides that fact that they still do have complaints and compared to other sectors, I would say they have a very high complaint rate, but that it is unfortunately typical of the industry.

I understand businesses need to make money; check a shareholder report and you will see Telus/Bell/Rogers etc are doing fine and dandy.

But it is coming at a cost to customers.   I work with elderly people. If you want to see an egregious abuse of customers who have been with the cell phone providers for sometimes up to 20 years, just look at that demograhic,

I agree the industry is not very friendly to uninformed customers or customers who are not on the cutting edge of the technology.  Up to a point a customer doesnt know what they dont know.  It is a huge barrier and learning curve to over come.  And most definitely not senior friendly.

A - the Telus rep who switched me to Koodo would have mentioned the data block was being removed from my account. 

B - the Telus rep who switched me to Koodo could have said, Hey, you’re not protected anymore...better double check your general settings data block is on after you reboot your phone.

100% agree.  They should have saw that when moving you over and realistically should have been part of a check list of things to go over.

C - As soon as the data started costing me money, the network should have sent me a text saying so. At least I could have prevented the second $10 charge. But, no, they only have the notification at $25. Great. Glad I could contribute to another profitable revenue stream of the corp at my personal expense. What is that catch phrase. Do more with less? I’m doing less and it’s costing me more. 

I agree.  I think there should be something like a 25MB buffer.  Basically a 25MB plan which is honestly nothing.  Then implement their shock free data system at the 25MB mark.

Anyways, it’s a colossal waste of energy engaging in this unethical system.  I only bring it up on the off chance somebody in the ranks is reading and does care that customers are constantly slipping through the cracks.

I will flag this to a rep.  At least point C.

Going forward, please ensure you have your data turned off.  Also note that restarting your phone (even if your data is off) may incur data leakage as data may be used prior to the phone’s software switching data to the off position as it reboots.

Also, i would try to ask for a credit for the data leakage was 0.03MB.  Your best bet will be to send Koodo a private message via facebook or twitter.

Here you go Dennis.

TELUS Accessibility Policy - About | TELUS

It’s disturbing for me to hear a Mobile Master say that you have to take a vendor’s promise to its customers with a “grain of salt”.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Here you go Dennis.

TELUS Accessibility Policy - About | TELUS

It’s disturbing for me to hear a Mobile Master say that you have to take a vendor’s promise to its customers with a “grain of salt”.  

Yeah very much corporate jargon.

And I'm just a customer like you as mentioned in my signature. 

Just like diversity in corporations and govt. I keep hearing various companies talk about things and in actuality I don't see it.