Koodo Community
Solved

Data Block with picture msg feature

• 30 August 2020
  • 20 replies

A couple of things:

1. My dad has not been able to receive photos by text at all, despite having the data block with picture msg feature added on.
  1. On his plan, it shows it twice:
    1. $0 Data Block with Pic Msg
    2. Data Block with Picture Message $3.00

So my question is, if it’s included in his plan for $0, why would he pay $3/month for it? And, when both of these things are on his plan, why is the feature not working?

icon

Best answer by Allan M 30 August 2020, 04:43

1.Is data turned on on the phone? (Edit: Didn’t refresh my page, just saw mayumi’s comment)

2.The data block recently went up in price to $3. (There should’ve been a notice on your bill about this). You’re likely seeing a prorated charge on the bill for the days you had the $0 data block and then for the days you have the new $3 one.

View original

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

His data on his phone on?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

1.Is data turned on on the phone? (Edit: Didn’t refresh my page, just saw mayumi’s comment)

2.The data block recently went up in price to $3. (There should’ve been a notice on your bill about this). You’re likely seeing a prorated charge on the bill for the days you had the $0 data block and then for the days you have the new $3 one.

1. We sorted that issue out.
  1. When did the price go up? I certainly didn’t receive any notice about it, the only reason I noticed is that they’re going to now charge me for visual voicemail, so I had looked at our plans on the account. The $0 block and the $3 show up when you look at his current plan, I wasn’t looking at the bill.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
  1. When did the price go up? I certainly didn’t receive any notice about it, the only reason I noticed is that they’re going to now charge me for visual voicemail, so I had looked at our plans on the account. The $0 block and the $3 show up when you look at his current plan, I wasn’t looking at the bill.

They started charging this add-on awhile ago. It was free at beginning, then $2/mo. Now they raised price to $3 recently. 
I see you have $0 charge and $3 charge for it . Are they actually charging you?  How much is your plan? Is there extra $3 every month?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Go check your last months bill. Read it through, I believe they usually put the notices of price changes close to the end if I remember correctly.

They started charging this add-on awhile ago. It was free at beginning, then $2/mo. Now they raised price to $3 recently. 
I see you have $0 charge and $3 charge for it . Are they actually charging you?  How much is your plan? Is there extra $3 every month?

The most recent bill (mid July to mid August), my dad paid $0 for it and my mom $2. I see in the fine print it is going up to $3 each per month. Were we supposed to have received any notification about this? Seems like a shady way to announce increases...

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The most recent bill (mid July to mid August), my dad paid $0 for it and my mom $2. I see in the fine print it is going up to $3 each per month. Were we supposed to have received any notification about this? Seems like a shady way to announce increases...

So your dad is not paying for this add-on.

And your mom is paying $2.   Not $3 each.

There were some mixed messages when they started charging this add-on. It was like ' If you already have it, then they won't raise price. But if you removed it and re-added, then price will go up.'.  Other message was 'it will raise on certain days. ( It doesn't matter if you remove it or not)

If your parents add-on wasn't increased (keeping $0 and $2), then don't remove it.

Notification was sent out( included) on last page of your bill/invoice. 

This just happened to me today.  I have been on the $0 data plan and now out of the blue am charged $3.  Found this change on the last line of my invoice.  Not a nice way to do this.  I’ve changed it back to $0 - free.

Userlevel 7

Remember the option of data blocking at your phone level. You may disable ‘Mobile Data’ at your phone  and not require (and pay for) the Data Block add-on

thanks.  I’ll double check that too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This just happened to me today.  I have been on the $0 data plan and now out of the blue am charged $3.  Found this change on the last line of my invoice.  Not a nice way to do this.  I’ve changed it back to $0 - free.

There should be notification on previous bill too. They also sent out email to customers too.

This time, it seems they raised this add-on’s  price  for every customers.  You can remove it if you don’t agree with it. But, you need to adjust your phone setting to prevent future data charges due to leakage and apps background usage.

I have removed it.  I didn’t receive an email telling me about this.  It only showed up on my invoice. and so wasn’t able to change it before the invoice.   Not sure about my invoice amount now - I still think it is pretty underhanded that no notice was given in time - just sneaking it in.

Userlevel 7

Check your self serve account ‘add on’  list to make sure its removed.  Self serve account update may  be delayed so keep checking.

I have removed it.  I didn’t receive an email telling me about this.  It only showed up on my invoice. and so wasn’t able to change it before the invoice.   Not sure about my invoice amount now - I still think it is pretty underhanded that no notice was given in time - just sneaking it in.

I didn’t receive an e-mail either. 

So your dad is not paying for this add-on.

And your mom is paying $2.   Not $3 each.

There were some mixed messages when they started charging this add-on. It was like ' If you already have it, then they won't raise price. But if you removed it and re-added, then price will go up.'.  Other message was 'it will raise on certain days. ( It doesn't matter if you remove it or not)

If your parents add-on wasn't increased (keeping $0 and $2), then don't remove it.

Notification was sent out( included) on last page of your bill/invoice. 

They are charging $3 each per month now, doesn’t matter we have had this plan for a long time. Very scheisty of them, there was some small print on the bill if I went in to self service to check it, but no email.

Now I’ve discovered that my parents can only receive the picture messages if they’re using wifi. They have enabled the features required as people mentioned above, but if they’re not connected to wifi they will not receive it. What gives??

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Now I’ve discovered that my parents can only receive the picture messages if they’re using wifi. They have enabled the features required as people mentioned above, but if they’re not connected to wifi they will not receive it. What gives??

If you can receive photos only when you are on WIFI, it wasn’t MMS. It could be iMessage or Viber, whatsapp.. WiFi is good enough for those services.

If you can receive photos only when you are on WIFI, it wasn’t MMS. It could be iMessage or Viber, whatsapp.. WiFi is good enough for those services.

They have Androids, and they don’t have Viber or Whatsapp on their phones. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Ok, if they are happy with current setup, they don’t need datablock add-on..

Ok, if they are happy with current setup, they don’t need datablock add-on..

No, I want them to be able to receive just MMS photos, which is why we paid for it. I was hoping someone would have some idea for how to troubleshoot this issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No, I want them to be able to receive just MMS photos, which is why we paid for it. I was hoping someone would have some idea for how to troubleshoot this issue.

MMS is transferred via mobile (cellular) data - that was the way it was designed years ago. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimedia_Messaging_Service

So a cellular data connection is required to send/receive it (and that was the purpose of the data block).

Years ago, there was a method to change the APN of the phone that allowed MMS while blocking data in the phone. You could search the forum for it. However, this settings might change if you restart the phone or reset it. So customers must be careful and check the settings frequently to avoid any surprise.