Feedback
Data add ons | Koodo Community
Koodo Community
Question

Data add ons

• 11 September 2021
  • 13 replies

Hubby’s phone got a text message last week giving him the option of adding 2gb of data for $10 a month. Kept replying with the “ADD” response, but it kept failing. Just kept telling me to try again another day. It ‘expired’ on the 8th and never did work. Now i’ve spent 2 hours or more trying to find a number that I can call and actually speak to someone other than the stupid bot. If I use the koodo phone number the damn thing sends me a text to use the bot again and hangs up on me. I would like to just speak with someone without having to set up a damn appointment to do it. Do I have an option there or does Koodo only employ chat bots for setting appointments? I’m sooooo aggravated right now I can’t even articulate it. I’ve been with Koodo for 8 years, but it is really starting to feel like that needs to change.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Settings>Network & Internet>Advanced>App Data Usage

What does it show here?  A screen shot may help us 

I have checked his phone, he doesn’t have anything listed as wifi assist, so I can only assume that it is not in fact on. There is also no background app refresh. His updates are listed to ONLY update when connected to wifi network. 

He has the $25 plan. 

I am a Samsung kinda gal, and he has a motorola hyper one. I don’t know his phone nearly as well as my own so I will do some more digging on it to see if there is something i’m overlooking. 

I appreciate all the extra tips and tricks ya’ll have. Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have turned all of his apps off. He literally doesn’t touch the phone unless he leaves the house to go to an appointment or on a chore. I make him carry it just in case. However, he hasn’t left the house in a few days now.

Wifi assist? Not familiar with the term, but his phone auto connects to our home wifi network when he is within range. This should in theory keep his phone updating and doing what it needs to do without using the koodo network, thus negating any data usage.

I have his phone on the cheapest plan with minimal data included because he doesn’t use the phone except in the above mentioned instances. I think it has minimum of 250MB, which isn’t much for a power user, but it should’ve been fine for someone who has actually only used his phone to place a call 3 times since he’s owned it.

Do you know if he has the Background App Refresh feature on? What about allowing app updates on cellular data? That can eat up a lot of data as well. You should look into these features and disable them or toggle them off in case it is enabled on the device. 

Userlevel 6

Wifi assist? Not familiar with the term, but his phone auto connects to our home wifi network when he is within range. This should in theory keep his phone updating and doing what it needs to do without using the koodo network, thus negating any data usage.

Wifi assist uses data if you have a weak or poor internet connection. It can use a lot of data if it is on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

"I have turned all of his apps off."

- So, which app(s) was using his data?

"Wifi assist? Not familiar with the term…"

- It's a function that help your phone to  stay connect.  Your phone will start using the mobile data if your wifi signal get very week/lost.

"I have his phone on the cheapest plan with minimal data ... I think it has minimum of 250MB,"

- I used had a plan with 100mb. But I had wifi connection at home, work place, subway stations, cafe...etc. so it was enough for me.

Does he have $15 starter plan? If so they might not be able to add - data add-on...

Can you check his phone and see which apps are using his data?

Also, he has WIFI assist?

What plan does he have - how much data is included?

I have turned all of his apps off. He literally doesn’t touch the phone unless he leaves the house to go to an appointment or on a chore. I make him carry it just in case. However, he hasn’t left the house in a few days now.

I have his phone on the cheapest plan with minimal data included because he doesn’t use the phone except in the above mentioned instances. I think it has minimum of 250MB, which isn’t much for a power user, but it should’ve been fine for someone who has actually only used his phone to place a call 3 times since he’s owned it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Great. So as of today, his phone hasn’t left his desk inside his office, in our house, connected to the wireless network and this morning he got another text saying he’s used up his ‘data’ allotment and his data is again paused until the next billing cycle ends (oct 11). How could he POSSIBLY have used data when he hasn’t even used the damn phone? I think i’ll just shut this phone line off. I’ve never seen such BS before. Having to ‘schedule’ an appointment for customer assistance on fixing these kinds of issues is not acceptable. I wonder how they would feel if I stop paying the bill and send them periodic messages telling them set up an appointment for payment.

Can you check his phone and see which apps are using his data?

Also, he has WIFI assist?

What plan does he have - how much data is included?

Great. So as of today, his phone hasn’t left his desk inside his office, in our house, connected to the wireless network and this morning he got another text saying he’s used up his ‘data’ allotment and his data is again paused until the next billing cycle ends (oct 11). How could he POSSIBLY have used data when he hasn’t even used the damn phone? I think i’ll just shut this phone line off. I’ve never seen such BS before. Having to ‘schedule’ an appointment for customer assistance on fixing these kinds of issues is not acceptable. I wonder how they would feel if I stop paying the bill and send them periodic messages telling them set up an appointment for payment.

Hi @AnnoyedinCA   please let us know if you were  still unable to add the feature.  We’d like to see how we can help.  Thank you.

I was not able to add the feature. I am hoping they will send another to his phone since he went over his data allotment again this month. I did not want to change his phone plan otherwise, only to add the 2gb of shock free for the $10. I guess we’ll see if it happens since billing cycle ended on the 11th and they’ve now unpaused his data. 

Userlevel 2

Hi @AnnoyedinCA   please let us know if you were  still unable to add the feature.  We’d like to see how we can help.  Thank you.

Can you provide us with a screenshot of your offer? In the meantime, I have flagged a Koodo rep to see if they can help you out. 

Sadly, I can not. He deleted them all when the offer ‘expired’ according to what the text message said. He then proceeded to tell me to ‘call’ them. So, here we are. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hubby’s phone got a text message last week giving him the option of adding 2gb of data for $10 a month. Kept replying with the “ADD” response, but it kept failing. Just kept telling me to try again another day. It ‘expired’ on the 8th and never did work. Now i’ve spent 2 hours or more trying to find a number that I can call and actually speak to someone other than the stupid bot. If I use the koodo phone number the damn thing sends me a text to use the bot again and hangs up on me. I would like to just speak with someone without having to set up a damn appointment to do it. Do I have an option there or does Koodo only employ chat bots for setting appointments? I’m sooooo aggravated right now I can’t even articulate it. I’ve been with Koodo for 8 years, but it is really starting to feel like that needs to change.

Can you provide us with a screenshot of your offer? In the meantime, I have flagged a Koodo rep to see if they can help you out. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you saw the error, their system might have some issue at that time.

Scheduling a callback with the digital bot is the only way you could speak with a rep. I recommend you follow the conversation with it and schedule a call back. www.koodo.com/chat

You could also chat with a rep via Facebook/Twitter messaging https://www.facebook.com/Koodo / https://twitter.com/koodo