Koodo Community

Community

Custom Plans?!

I would love to see a "Build your own plan" go around! Customers who want to focus more on data than minutes or vice versa could get the perfect plan that they build alongside their Koodo Kiosk representatives.

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Agreed. Even if the bundled price is less than the a-la-carte price for the same combination of features it would be great to have a customizable option available.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I agree as well, so let's make that athreed 🙂 I'm very sorry that the old flex plan is gone, especially the awesome OLD flex plan. But they have now even done away with any non-data plan altogether, you're stuck with data unless you call less than 200 minutes a month. And others are likewise stuck with unlimited minutes, just because they need a gig or more of data... Your idea has been suggested several times in the past, but don't hold your breath 🙂 You've got my vote anyway!
Working on the front line with customers I hear this all the time, I feel it would be a worthwhile idea to put in motion simply because it gives more power to the people. It would be accessible from from the self-serve online to let customers customize by needs.
Userlevel 6
As much as I like this idea this would be awfully complicated to make happen from a systems perspective. I don't know if any cellphone company in the world would have this. How "custom" would you have to go? 50 minute increments for minutes? If you got to a 1,000 minutes before it changes to unlimited that alone is 20 versions. Add to that data at 100kb increments and that's another 20 versions up to 2gb. Are evenings and weekends separate? The combination of minutes and data packets would count in the hundreds. Imagine people changing things monthly and the chaos it would create on people's bills. It would be ugly. Just saying. 🙂
I know exactly what you mean! I've thought that through. I guess the amount to which it could be customized would be more little limited, it could create chaos but if done right it could do wonders!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Start with a few of the base canada wide plans from 3 years ago: one with 50 minutes, 50 outgoing messages and 25 MB of data one with 200 minutes, 50 outgoing messages and 25 MB of data one with unlimited minutes, 50 outgoing messages and 25 mb of data. add ons: unlimited messaging unlimited incoming calls stackable data add ons in 250, 500, 1 GB and 2 GB sizes. unlimited evenings and weekends call display voicemail
Userlevel 6
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Start with a few of the base canada wide plans from 3 years ago: one with 50 minutes, 50 outgoin...

I get the spirit of the idea. I can't see it happen though. One is the complexity I mentioned. Ok, so you just simplified that Timo. So, how would koodo price these? Say the first one, 50 minutes 25Mb of data. It would have be about $10 for anyone to be interested I would think. Do you think koodo would be willing to give up that much revenue? If yes, what would fido, virgin and everyone else do. Based on their current behaviour probably match whatever they koodo came up with. So, we the customer would all benefit from lower prices, but no company gets more new customers since they al have the same plans but the cellphone industry just ook a bath and I guarantee you the markets would punish their parent brands brutally. I've seen and done in other industries. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Start with a few of the base canada wide plans from 3 years ago: one with 50 minutes, 50 outgoin...

Up to Koodo where to price them. They pay me to get phones to connect, not to design plans outright. Nobody suggested that they would have to be cheaper, just that they would be customizable.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Chris, so what if Fido/Virgin match it? Then it's up to Koodo to make a better offer again. I wouldn't mind seeing some actual competition outside QC/MB/SK.
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Heck! I'd love to see them give higher data options to people. I know that the average consumer doesn't even use that much, however some people feel they "need" 5 to 6 GBs of Data.
Userlevel 1
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

I live in Rural Ontario Justin and need 60-100Gs. Or 60Gs with rollover option that forwards this months unused data to next months 60G. Basic cable $35.00 plus $53.00 for 80G in Barrie Ontario. I live 3kms from Barrie and no cable, no high speed Bell. Bell Satalite package over $220.00 per month. You get over a 1000 channels, but Bell does not tell you, hundreds of channels is duplicate channels of the 1000 channelsl. Plus, $6.00 and more for pay per view channels. Shaw is a touch better and supported by Xplore Net, coming in at around $139.00 per month. NOW this is where it gets really arrogant and totally ignorant to what these companies, view as DESPERATE CUSTOMERS. Data add-on is 20Gs for $65.00 and if you pay another $5.00 you get 30Gs more for a total of 50Gs for $70.00 which includes data overages that is unbelievable. So data is so rare, so valuable and expensive a commodity that they give it away at $5.00 per 30Gs. Now if you want Streaming Data proper, your looking at $85.00 for 20g plus $5.00 for the extra 30Gs. I'd like to see Koodo come in here and make a few bucks, by meeting Rural Ontario needs, where their infrastructure permits.
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

That's the aim of the 700 MHz spectrum. "Industry Canada recognizes that spectrum in the 700 MHz band presents an opportunity to further improve mobile services in rural Canada".The idea being, carriers will be able to deploy this technology so that wireless signals travel farther and have better penetrability through buildings, structures and naturally occurring obstacles. Hopefully, this will become a reality in the not too distant future.
Userlevel 6
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

@Ivan As I said the market would punish all of these companies. Fido/Rogers Virgin/Bell Koodo/Telus . Race to cut revenues from companies 99% of the time result in lower share prices. Their board of directors and shareholders would be screaming. And I can't blame them. I buy a company's stock in the hopes that it will appreciate over time. When your revenue is shrinking I sell like crazy. 🙂
Userlevel 1
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Oh what nasty webs the Boards of Directors Created for the Shareholders, to begin with Chris. Bell was a monopoly out West, from which was born Telus. Rogers sent more money on legal fees than what they made, to 'break into' the phone business. The abovementioned companies have been labeled The Big Three for how many years? Then comes 3 Little Players, for which the Big Three, created Budget Knock Offs to compete. Gee Chris, how's that work? Profit margins are so thin, shareholders said, ' hey let's create the illusion of Budget Knock Off Companies'? After "Healthy" Big Three Competition , two Little upstarts are laying on the side of the road, dead and one is laying in the Telecommunications Zoo being rehabilitated. So why the big Claw Back on data, since the last release of the 6G Plan? I believe, because the Healthy competition IS GONE and now its time to bring BUDGET PRICING in line with Big Three Pricing. So when you think about it Chis, Koodo is offering even less than what Telus does now, given that Telus pays Mall Store Front Boutique Rents, while Koodo pays Kiosk rents.
Userlevel 5
One of Koodos big things is simplicity, and while having custom plans would work good for some of the people out there. It would make things MUCH more complicated. And with complexity, comes cost. Im sure it would be a logistical nightmare in the system to have tons of custom plan options. My guess at where things are going, would by that youll probably see minutes disappear all together when chosing plans, and the only real choices will be data. And when that comes im sure the Data sizes will go up.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mark Kokolsky wrote:

One of Koodos big things is simplicity, and while having custom plans would work good for some of...

I hope you're right but I'm pretty sure it will be the reverse: data sizes will go DOWN - and the price will go UP 😛
Userlevel 1
Mark Kokolsky wrote:

One of Koodos big things is simplicity, and while having custom plans would work good for some of...

I agree Sophia, appearce of competition is gone and time to bring Budget Plans in line with Big 3 Pricing.
Userlevel 5
Mark Kokolsky wrote:

Mark took the words out of my mouth. We're all about keeping things simple which is one of the reasons why we're able to keep cost down.  Creating custom plans will only complicate things from a logistics perspective which will be pretty costly!
Userlevel 5
Mark Kokolsky wrote:

People in wireless, I find, think very short term. Prices before the CRTC stuff had been slowly coming down over the previous few years. The CRTC changes came in, and prices went back up, but over the next little while prices are most likely going to come down. They probably wont drop overnight, but Koodo has usually led the way out of the value brands for offering more for the same or a lower price. I think its just going to take some time.
Userlevel 3
Assuming this is implemented wouldn't this cause more billing discrepencies because what the consumer adds isn't nearly enough? I am not against the idea I am all for it but I guess the end user would be to blame for the overage and not Koodo for suggesting this plan 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rocky Balboa wrote:

Assuming this is implemented wouldn't this cause more billing discrepencies because what the cons...

They do that NOW. I don't really see this making it much worse.
Userlevel 7
It's kind of funny how this is actually how some of the older plans used to be with the other carriers. You had a pretty cheap base plan with just local minutes (LD were extra) and maybe some texting, if any. Then you usually added evenings/weekends times or extra minutes, call display, voicemail, and then a data package (sometimes optional). Then there was stuff like system access fees, etc. People complained that the plans weren't all inclusive or didn't show the "true" price so the carriers implemented that over time and now we're complaining that there's less choice when it comes to plans again. 😛
Userlevel 3
Jonathan I wrote:

It's kind of funny how this is actually how some of the older plans used to be with the other car...

Good point but when the plans didn't include CD VM and unlimited SMs you had to pay for the minutes data and add ons seperately. What that being said it was more expensive when you had to pay everything seperate where opposed to what is now everything is included with the plan.