Koodo Community
Question

cruise texting

• 25 June 2019
  • 3 replies

I understand on a cruise I will pay .60 cents for outgoing texts. What I'm wondering is: If data roaming has to be on to send the text, will it also be updating apps eg: Instagram, facebook, etc, and giving me 15$/ mb roaming charges? If so, how can I avoid that will still being able to text? Thanks

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Data does not need to be on to send regular texts (SMS only, no MMS/picture texts)

If you turn on data and it is roaming, then it would depend on your apps and app store settings to determine if it will update or use background data. Koodo wouldnt have any control over that. The safest bet is to turn off data and data roaming on your phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@Todd Huntley One thing to bear in mind! Depending on where the cruise is there may only be access to satellite service. And those are not covered by Easy Roam. You would have pay-per-use rates in that scenario.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
To avoid unpleasant additional expen$e$, only turn on your phone while in port. You don't need data to send or receive texts, so turn off data roaming completely, and find yourself a wifi connection to catch up on email etc.