Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Crossing the border daily.

Starting next month I will be living in Sarnia Ontario and crossing the border daily to work in the States. What would the cheapest plan option be?

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Honestly? If you plan to use your phone often in the US, get a T Mobile line. But if you won't be using it often, Maybe even Wind's 45/60 roaming plans would work, despite there being no home zone in Sarnia. Another viable option would be Roam Mobility, as you can get it by the day or their "long term" monthly plans. It's 35 a month for unlimited talk and text, 50 for data. It too is an American number. But you can call back into Canada as well.

To pay for convenience and one bill  etc etc etc,  it's a 45 dollar add-on for unlimited talk and text in the US for 30 days at a time. An additional 30 if you want 750MB of data for 75 dollars extra for the 30 day plan which is by and large the least expensive on a per day basis. I believe you can call back into Canada without extra charges on these plans.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
T Mobile includes calls to Canada and calls while in Canada as well. 50 for 2GB. Prepaid with Canada add-on is 45 for 3GB. Not sure if they still have the 30 for 5GB and 100 minutes and texting prepaid plan you get from walmart or not.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Another option is to get a phone with dual-SIM capabilities and use a combination of Canadian carrier and US carrier SIM cards that suit your needs.

Koodo doesn't offer any roaming options that would be ideal for that much US use.
Ivan wrote:

Another option is to get a phone with dual-SIM capabilities and use a combination of Canadian car...

I'd agree. A dual sim phone would be the smartest choice. Either that or just unlock your phone and carry the other simcard in your wallet.

I'd probably go with Wind for your time in Canada and T-Mobile or Cricket for when you're in the US
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

Another option is to get a phone with dual-SIM capabilities and use a combination of Canadian car...

Check out the dual SIM option carefully. Sometimes only one SIM has access to data.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

Every single one I've used had only one-SIM having data access. You can usually change which one in the settings. You wouldn't want both to have access simultaneously in this scenario anyways due to data roaming charges.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

Ideally, you wouldn't want the phone to roam at all if you are relying on the dual SIMS. In any event, you would be stuck to pay for 2 different plans and probably some long distance calls from work to home or vice versa.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Wind Mobile
https://www.windmobile.ca/us-unlimited
Userlevel 7
I've also heard cricket is pretty good for cross-border users. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mathieu wrote:

I've also heard cricket is pretty good for cross-border users. 

Waiting to hear what Chad has to say since this is right up his alley. I believe after sifting thru a lot of stuff, he's now with Cricket.