Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Confusion: If we buy the US roaming "unlimited" travel packages, are we still restricted to our monthly plan minutes? Conflicting advice

So I have been looking into the US roaming travel packages. I recently added the $40 ten day US travel package that advertises 250 MB data, "unlimited" Canada and US-wide texting and minutes. My regular plan in Canada is no data, unlimited texts, and 100 canada wide minutes along with free canada-wide calls after 5pm and before 8am. My understanding was that the 10-day package (which costs more than my monthly plan which I will still be paying on top of that) would mean that I get unlimited minutes within the US, and indeed on the koodo information page there doesn't seem to be anything to contradict this. The advice I have seen on this board (from koodo employees and community) seems to confirm this as well. However when I called into Koodo today I was informed that the "unlimited" US minutes only apply if I have an unlimited calling plan within Canada, and that if I go over my monthly 100 minutes rate while in the United States I will be charged for those. I am confused. Why would Koodo advertise "unlimited" texting and talking when this is not the case? I'm paying $40 for 10 days of still being on my regular plan (effectively $80 this month) with only 100 minutes. If this is true, why is it not mentioned anywhere on the travel packages page that the "unlimited" US travel plan only applies if you already have an unlimited canada calling plan (and that i'm effectively paying for less than 100 minutes)? Could someone please clarify this for me ASAP as I am due to leave tomorrow?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi Robert, thank you for the reply! The koodo staff member I spoke with confirmed that data I use in the US doesn't affect my data bill in Canada (so long as it's from a US network), but he said that the 20-30$ for "unlimited minutes" are actually just the remainder of the 100 monthly minutes I have left. This doesn't make much sense to me, especially given the wording of the plan page and the policy on data. If you do hear back from Koodo please do let me know! I've gotten different answers from different people
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ohh I see! But if this is applicable to data, why wouldn't it be to airtime. I will for sure get back as soon as I get an answer
Userlevel 6
That rep didn't know what they were talking about. You indeed have unlimited talk and text with the $40 combo while in the US.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi everyone, an update: I contacted the Koodo customer service line and they finally got back to me by email. They confirmed that indeed the US Roaming packages are independent of my monthly plan and that the unlimited text and minutes are indeed unlimited (and not just "unlimited roaming"). This was what I suspected all along but was extremely confused when the initial customer service representative I spoke with said otherwise. I'm posting the update here in case anyone else encounters this same problem.
Userlevel 7
Redrose27 wrote:

Hi everyone, an update: I contacted the Koodo customer service line and they finally got ba...

Thanks for coming back and updating us 🙂