Koodo Community
Solved

Conflicting answers: Apple Watch 'Cellular' with Koodo... is this possible?

• 3 February 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

I have an iPhone 12 Pro with Koodo. I’d like to pick up an Apple Watch Series 6… and I was wondering the ‘Cellular’ option (where you can get messages/etc. on the Watch even if it’s far away from your phone). 

I’m seeing conflicting answers on whether this is possible. It seems that ‘officially’ it’s a “no (that it’s only possible via Telus and the other big carriers), but others are saying it’s possible via an ‘eSim’? Can anyone speak a bit more to this? 

(I’ve dug through the other relevant posts on here and /r/Koodo… but I am not seeing anyone conclusively say it cannot be done.) Thanks so much! Sorry for the likely redundant question.

icon

Best answer by Allan M 3 February 2021, 05:04

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

When you set up the apple watch with the cellular network it makes you sign in to your carriers online account and then you activate the cellular from there.

Because of this you can't "cheat" the system by purchasing an esim or anything.

So to answer you, no. You'd have to go to telus or get one of the non cellular apple watches with koodo.

Badge +4

Straight from Apple.

“Wireless service plan required for cellular service. Contact your service provider for more details. International roaming is not supported. Check apple.com/watch/cellular for participating wireless carriers and eligibility. See support.apple.com/en-us/HT207578 for additional setup instructions”.

There’s really no way for the Apple Watch Series 6 (GPS + Cellular) to act as a true standalone eSIM device completely separate from your iPhone 12 Pro. The Apple Watch S6 has to be registered with a carrier that supports this feature. The iPhone and Apple Watch must use the same carrier, although there is one exception for family members. “An Apple Watch that you set up for a family member can use a different carrier than your iPhone uses”.

Koodo does not support Apple Watch. That’s not to say it will never happen, but for now, it’s likely to differentiate between the premium and budget-conscious brands.

Userlevel 1

Thank you both! :relaxed: Have a great day,