Koodo Community

Community

Collect Call Acceptance for Cellular Customers

Lots of people across the world have a family member or a friend who is in jail or otherwise can't contact them without a collect call. Home phones are a thing of the past for many of us, keeps the bills lower if there is only one phone bill to pay. I think that Koodo should come up with an add-on for those of us who have someone that needs to make collect calls to contact us. Price wouldn't really matter for those of us who really want to connect with those we can't see or speak to on a regular basis. This idea would benefit a lot of Canadians who are in the middle of know where with no proper cell reception and no money to be able to contact loved ones if they need to as well. Let's face it a cellphone is easier to call someone on, its usually right close to the ones who matter.

Collect calls from prisons are sometimes the only way a person can talk to a loved one and those on a set income cant afford two phone bills each month just to receive collect calls. Create an add-on for those customers who want this option, it will make money for Koodo and keep families connected to members on the inside.

4 replies

Userlevel 1
I agree come on koodo ...bell has this
Userlevel 6
elvira wrote:

On a landline phone, yes. Not on a cellphone I don't think.
Userlevel 1
elvira wrote:

Ah if someone has a phone card in jail and there is money on it they can call a phone BUT not via collect only if they pay but they need to allow collect calls
Userlevel 1
I think you have to be really careful with this one. A friend of mine was able to run up significant charges (while we were out of the country) by calling collect and leaving voice mail messages. The charges for “Premium Operator Assisted Calls” are often unreasonable (came to hundreds of dollars) when no “operator” is really involved. Who accepted the charges if we weren't even home? My wife’s voice mail greeting said “leave us a message, thank you”. To Bell’s computerized IVR voice recognition system “Thank You” means “Yes I accept the charges” so our voice mail greeting was accepting the charges and it was hundreds of dollars. Bell refused to deal with it as we were not their customer and our carrier advised that they only passed on the charges from Bell so I had to start a lengthy complaint process with the Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services (CCTS) in Ottawa and Bell cried uncle and refunded the money before a formal decision was levied against them.