Koodo Community
Solved

Charged for Easy Roam when NOT activated

• 14 January 2022
  • 9 replies

I am extremely frustrated! I would like to send an email Customer Services and I cannot see anywhere online that I can do this. Can someone please help? I have recently spoken with an agent and around $30 was knocked off my bill due to loyalty but I am still unhappy with the explanation regarding my bill and the Easy Roam charges that I incurred despite having my Cellular Data button and the Easy Roam cellular button turned OFF during the time I was in UK/US using what I thought was WIFI only! I checked this regularly to make sure the Data buttons had not been accidentally switched on. But apparently despite this, it appears the phone searches for a service provider regardless (due to Easy Roam) and therefore I incurred large charges ($289.61) I was not expecting to pay. The agent said I should have the Flight Mode button switched on while abroad if I don’t want to use the Easy Roam but this is not noted anywhere and I did not know this should be done until after the event at his recent explanation. The only instructions I found online were telling me to ensure the data buttons are switched OFF. Which they were...

I was also told that I accepted the Easy Roam offer in 2018 of which I have absolutely no recollection, nor any need to do so. From 2017-2021 we didn't leave Canada so had absolutely no need for this service and therefore would not have looked into adding it to my account. On checking Self-Serve recently, I cannot find any way of removing this option that I do not want or need. 

I feel after over 16 years of being a loyal and on-time payer of my bills, that there would be more compassion shown by Koodo as a company and laying out obvious instructions so older, or less phone-savvy, customers such as myself don't get fleeced by this lack of transparency... I am very, very unhappy with this situation and hope that my message is answered by someone within Koodo Customer Service. I don't want to  take my custom elsewhere but am unhappy enough about this situation that I will consider doing so.

Thank you in advance for your assistance

icon

Best answer by Goran 14 January 2022, 19:43

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I can flag a rep to see if anything else can be done. Keep in mind that this is a situation that would likely happen with any other carrier. But if you find better service/price elsewhere, then do what’s best for you.

You should be able to go into manage add-ons in your self-serve to remove it. You can also remove “international voice roaming” and “international data roaming” to ensure it cannot connect even for pay-per-use. Airplane mode should also be enabled and kept enabled before landing. To 100% guarantee you don’t get roaming charges, take your sim card out of your phone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Sandra D 

We’ve sent you a PM so we can confirm some more details.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Does your pdf ebill call all of those changes as easy roam? The billing amount doesn't make sense. Was this over 2 bills? For easy roam there is a cap of $100 per billing cycle in the US and $150 per billing cycle internationally.

Koodo has also not been around for over 16 years. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You mentioned that " during the time I was in UK/US using what I thought was WIFI only!".  Did you make ILD call from UK to US or US to UK? Then, I believe you get charged by pay per use rate for those calls, and colud end up huge bill.

I can flag a rep to see if anything else can be done. Keep in mind that this is a situation that would likely happen with any other carrier. But if you find better service/price elsewhere, then do what’s best for you.

You should be able to go into manage add-ons in your self-serve to remove it. You can also remove “international voice roaming” and “international data roaming” to ensure it cannot connect even for pay-per-use. Airplane mode should also be enabled and kept enabled before landing. To 100% guarantee you don’t get roaming charges, take your sim card out of your phone.

Hi, I understand the situation could possibly happen with another carrier, but I’m more unhappy about the fact this happened in the first place and the lack of transparency regarding the Easy Roam and what you need to do to NOT have it enabled. I had airplane mode on during the flight and until we reached our destination where I thought the wifi would kick in. I have used my phone in the UK before this trip in exactly the same way and never had any problems at all. Now I know to either leave on airplane mode or remove a sim card, I will do so. I appreciate your reply, thank you

Does your pdf ebill call all of those changes as easy roam? The billing amount doesn't make sense. Was this over 2 bills? For easy roam there is a cap of $100 per billing cycle in the US and $150 per billing cycle internationally.

Koodo has also not been around for over 16 years. 

Hi, no just the one bill (we were out of Canada from Dec 6-29). Generally when I reach my data limit at home in Canada, I get a message to let me know and then it caps it once I reach my limit. There was no such message nor any indication that I was actually using the Easy Roam. We live close to the border of US and often I get a text welcoming me to the US. I received the welcome to UK message but didn’t open the actual message, just saw it pop up and then checked my data buttons were off. 

We’ve used Koodo since arriving in Canada in 2005, never been with any other provider

Thanks for your reply

You mentioned that " during the time I was in UK/US using what I thought was WIFI only!".  Did you make ILD call from UK to US or US to UK? Then, I believe you get charged by pay per use rate for those calls, and colud end up huge bill.

Hi, I didn’t make any calls other than on WhatsApp and that was only when I had wifi connection. There is no pay per use rate for any calls, just an indication that I’d used the roaming

Thanks for your reply

Hi @Sandra D 

Thank you. I’m sorry, I’ve not used this feature before, where do I find a PM message? 

Hi @Sandra D 

Thank you. I’m sorry, I’ve not used this feature before, where do I find a PM message? 

I found it and have replied. Thanks