Koodo Community
Question

Charged for easy roam when I didn't use my phone?

Has anyone else had this problem before and successfully proven this? I was on a trip to the USA and set my phone's data mode to cellular roaming off. I had easyroam enabled obviously.

I received a few messages via text incoming, but did not send any text messages, make any calls, or use any data but Koodo is claiming I used two days of roaming because text messages were sent and a trivial amount of data was used on one day.

Would sending logs of my phone's text messages prove that I didn't use it?

22 replies

Any amount of data usage will start an easy roam charge for a 24 hr period. If it was because of data leakage and the amount was very minimal you might be able to dispute that. Incoming texts won't trigger easy roam but sending a text will. If they say you have sent texts and it shows that in your usage, It will be hard to dispute that. Do your usage logs in your self serve account show that texts were sent?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
hi,
What phone was it? There should be a log of text message on Koodo selfserve. You could check there ans see why Koodo charged easyroam on that date.

iPhone and Google pixels (and some other android phone) sometimes sent text to some short code to enable imessage or visual voicemail. However, there should be a record of it in Koodo usage.

If the usage was accidental and a small amount, I would suggest you contact them and ask if they can do anything.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Not sending texts should be pretty clear cut, except there is no log on the phone to say how many outgoing texts were send for a specific date.

With data leakage, that can easily happen accidental based on the phone. It could be as simple as restarting your phone which can trigger data usage. Depending on your phone (Android), there may be a Data usage history log to show this for a specific date.
For the first day, I was charged for two texts. My self serve account shows that I sent two text messages, although I do not have any recollection of this and there is no record of them in my phone.

For the second day, I was charged because I used data. My self serve account shows that I used 0.00 mb but the gentleman on the phone said I used 9 megabytes.

This was on an iphone 6. The most they could do was reimburse me $4, and I had to head to work so I just left it. Worth calling back?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
leaf345 wrote:

For the first day, I was charged for two texts. My self serve account shows that I sent two text messages, although I do not have any recollection of this and there is no record of them in my phone.

For the second day, I was charged because I used data. My self serve account shows that I used 0.00 mb but the gentleman on the phone said I used 9 megabytes.

This was on an iphone 6. The most they could do was reimburse me $4, and I had to head to work so I just left it. Worth calling back?

I would check the date and time stamp of the text messages that was sent and the data that was used
leaf345 wrote:

What is the number that the texts were sent to and do you recognize it?

For the 2nd day, if self serve is showing 0.00 I would think that you should be able to get reimbursed for that day. How can he say you used 9MB but self serve shows zero. I would pursue that one again if it doesn't show anywhere in self serve that you used 9MB in that 24 hr period.
It doesn't specify what number it was sent to, which is very odd I think. Is this normal? All the other text messages I sent to in the past show a number. I actually wasn't able to access self serve until today, but the rep I talked to insisted its normal for numbers not to show up. But now I can see that he was mistaken.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
leaf345 wrote:

It doesn't specify what number it was sent to, which is very odd I think. Is this normal? All the other text messages I sent to in the past show a number. I actually wasn't able to access self serve until today, but the rep I talked to insisted its normal for numbers not to show up. But now I can see that he was mistaken.

I'll check the self serve usage again and I would call them back to dispute charge if you don't agree with what they said.
Ask them which number you texted on their record (and from where , what time).
same thing happened to me. I did not use it and had cellular roaming off but still charged $8 per day
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BirdieBird wrote:

same thing happened to me. I did not use it and had cellular roaming off but still charged $8 per day

Data leakage is difficult. The foolproof way is to take out your sim prior crossing the border
Still need it for texting though. Maybe Koodo needs to fix this problem..that should be the solution.
BirdieBird wrote:

Still need it for texting though. Maybe Koodo needs to fix this problem..that should be the solution.

It's the phone that is causing the problem, not Koodo. What Koodo can do though is not charge for data that is very minimal or showing as 0.00.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BirdieBird wrote:

You can always add a data block add-on to your account.

Data leakage is not really the fault of the carrier, it is an issue with the device. It's like blaming the water company for a leaky toilet
Happened to both my husband and I on same trip and he has a different cell. You still sure it's the phone and not the network?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes, its the phones, not the network.
so all cell phones have the same problem..interesting
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Correct, the phones have a really crappy way of blocking data. Something like a restart, wifi assist, just a glitch in the phone can all cause data to be used and therefore you get a charge.
If you didn't use it or it shows as 0.0MB on your bill, Koodo is usually pretty good about giving credits though.
Actually just resolved it with Koodo and receiving credit. They confirmed it is a network issue and has nothing to do with the phone itself.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It's not a network issue. The phone will cause data to leak like mentioned above.
It would be a network issue in terms of you still being in Canada and the phone connecting to US towers but in terms of being in the US and getting charged for 0.0MB of data, it is a phone software issue. Or you could consider it a Koodo doesn't have a better way of blocking the leaks that the phone doesnt initially block.

Either way, glad you got your credits!
Userlevel 6
BirdieBird wrote:

@BirdieBird just to be clear: were you only receiving text messages, or were you sending as well? Receiving in free, but sending will trigger a new Easy Roam day (if you're not already within a 24 hour Easy Roam period).
Sending texts but that is included in the $5 for 100 texts package. My cellular roaming was off entire time.
Sorted it with Koodo though and they are reimbursing my account for the roaming fees.
Userlevel 6
BirdieBird wrote:

Sending texts but that is included in the $5 for 100 texts package. My cellular roaming was off entire time.
Sorted it with Koodo though and they are reimbursing my account for the roaming fees.

I would think you would need to turn Easy Roam off in order to use that? EDIT: you're talking about the pay-per-use $5/100 messages sent, right? https://www.koodomobile.com/payperuse?INTCMP=KMNew_EasyRoamCTA_PayPerUse. If so, then yes you have to turn Easy Roam OFF to use the pay-per-use rates. I think this may well be what caused your billing--EasyRoam trumps pay per use, so your outbound messages were starting Easy Roam days and charging you $8 each time a new 24 hour window needed to be started.