Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Changing Phone & Activating SIM card

Userlevel 1
I recently bought an unlocked smartphone. I already have another phone with Koodo and I want to transfer that number to my new smartphone. I bought a SIM card from a Koodo kiosk for the phone. Do I activate the SIM card first and then use the "Change Phone" option on Self-Serve?

35 replies

Userlevel 5
Using the change phone option will activate the sim card. Just make sure you choose the option "New sim in current phone". After you put in the sim card number just put it in your phone and you're good to go!
Userlevel 1
Jorden wrote:

Using the change phone option will activate the sim card. Just make sure you choose the option "...

I am not able to select the "New SIM in current phone" option (greyed out). I can only choose "Upgrade my current phone". Also, I do want to upgrade my current phone to the new iPhone I just bought.
Jorden wrote:

Using the change phone option will activate the sim card. Just make sure you choose the option "...

I bought the same smart phone, do I have to activate with the new sim card, and just replace with old sim card?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jorden wrote:

If you bought a same phone, sim size is same. 
So take your old sim and put it in to your new phone. Restart your phone and you're good.

If your old sim is damaged then you can update your sim through self serve.
Jorden wrote:

There's currently no option in self-serve to update to a new sim card for one that is damaged.  You have to call Koodo to change it.
Jorden wrote:

Where do I find the Change Phone option here?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jorden wrote:

Sign into self serve on the website, then scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jorden wrote:

If you have multiple line under one account, then check phone number it's shown on top right and choose right number.
You have to do same process again - scroll down overview page and click change phone - then you can change/upgrade your SIM.
Jorden wrote:

It doesn't appear for mine at all, where would I find it then?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jorden wrote:

If you want to change/update your SIM card, you need to contact Koodo.
You can't do SIM swap throgh SS for now, so there is no charge to call in.
Userlevel 7
Does your old phone use a sim card?
Chad Burr wrote:

where can i fins that options?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

Option for "Changing Phone" or " Activating SIM" ?
Userlevel 1
Not sure, it is pretty old. Self-serve shows it as a "SAMSUNG SCHU450R 1X PCS" phone.
Userlevel 7
SK wrote:

Not sure, it is pretty old. Self-serve shows it as a "SAMSUNG SCHU450R 1X PCS" phone.

Okay so it doesn't use a sim, you just need to transfer your service to the sim through selfserve. The option of same phone is grey because your current phone doesn't use one.
Userlevel 1
SK wrote:

Thanks for your help! 🙂
SK wrote:

Have old phone unlocked an no phone number ,do I get a new number when I buy a sims card
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
SK wrote:

Are you a Koodo customer?  
Or you want to open an account with Koodo?
Use this link and start a new question please.
https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/new

Userlevel 7
Use the upgrade my current phone option

Chad Burr wrote:

Use the upgrade my current phone option [img]https://d1qy7qyune0vt1.cloudfront.net/koodo-en/a...

I changed my phone to Samsung S7 and bought a new sim card.  I follow the change phone instruction to update sim card #, but there is no where to update my new phone model.  Is this the correct way of activating my new phone?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

Use the upgrade my current phone option [img]https://d1qy7qyune0vt1.cloudfront.net/koodo-en/a...

The system will eventually update the model info all by itself.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

To clarify, the model of the phone should be automatically detected by koodo when you insert the sim card and connect to the network. It should then update in self serve as well, but even if it never does, this should not prevent it from working.
Userlevel 5
Glad Chad was able to help... didn't even think of that! I've accidentally activated the sim under the upgrade my current phone option before and confused the system (had to switch back, and then do the sim properly). Happy you didn't run into any issues with yours 🙂!
I just got an Nexus 5 & i previously had the Galaxy S2 , the nexus 5 uses micro sim and the s2 regular. Do i need to select new sim or new phone ? 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Navin Singh ⚠️⚡️♌️ wrote:

I just got an Nexus 5 & i previously had the Galaxy S2 , the nexus 5 uses micro sim and the s2 re...

I always go with the first option ("upgrade my current phone").