Koodo Community
Solved

change rate plan

• 11 September 2020
  • 12 replies

My service started last December. I’ve noticed that my plan I have now is cheaper by $5 a month and I want o switch plans. If I pay off my tab (medium for 24 months), can I change my plan to a cheaper plan or do I have to also pay back my (prorated) tab bonus (phone credit) that I got when I bought the phone?

icon

Best answer by MilkyWay 13 September 2020, 12:01

What I am saying is, if I pay off my tab balance say tomorrow but plan to stay with Koodo (which I plan to do until the end of the 24 months) and continue to pay down my tab bonus to 0 dollars, can I still switch tomorrow to a better plan (maybe cheaper but same data etc.)  if I am eligible? I am sure self service will tell me if I can or cannot. If I can’t, I won’t pay off my bonus, what’s the point.  If that is not possible, I fully understand.

You can change your plan or upgrade a new phone with a remaining Tab balance. However, you will have to pay back the remaining Tab balance left from the time you changed your plan to the time the 24-month period ends, as well as the Tab Bonus. As I explained earlier, this essentially adds up to the “full amount of the device”.

Only after your finish off the Tab balance at the end of 24 months can you make any changes without any penalties to your account. 

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7

Paying off your tab prior to its 24 months term will require you to repay the  (prorated) remaining Tab Bonus balance (which goes to $0 at the end of the 24 months term). You need to weigh the prorated remaining Tab Bonus balance against the $5/month gain with a new plan.

See https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/everything-you-need-to-know-about-tab

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

it depends.  What plan do you have and what plan are you looking to change to?

Userlevel 1

My service started last December. I’ve noticed that my plan I have now is cheaper by $5 a month and I want o switch plans. If I pay off my tab (medium for 24 months), can I change my plan to a cheaper plan or do I have to also pay back my (prorated) tab bonus (phone credit) that I got when I bought the phone?

I thought you could pay off your tab anytime without getting charged the phone credit as long as you don’t cancel.

Userlevel 5

I thought you could pay off your tab anytime without getting charged the phone credit as long as you don’t cancel.

That has changed since August 2019. Nowadays, you have to continue for 24 months or else you will be charged for the full amount of the device. You will have to pay the Tab Bonus as part of the penalty.

Thanks folks. So I if pay off my tab (stay with Koodo and continue to pay down my tab bonus until the end)can I assume that I can still change my plan given what plans are eligible and maybe qualify for one that may be cheaper than what I have? Just trying every possible avenue here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks folks. So I if pay off my tab (stay with Koodo and continue to pay down my tab bonus until the end)can I assume that I can still change my plan given what plans are eligible and maybe qualify for one that may be cheaper than what I have? Just trying every possible avenue here.

You can't pay off the tab and keep paying of the bonus separately, if that's what you're asking. It's all at once or all over 24 months.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You are correct. You can pay off “Tab balance” early, but remaining “Tab Bonus/ phone credit“ will continue to go down each month until it reaches $0.   If you cancel or upgrade before Tab Bonus reaches $0, then you need to pay it back too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You are correct. You can pay off “Tab balance” early, but remaining “Tab Bonus/ phone credit“ will continue to go down each month until it reaches $0.   If you cancel or upgrade before Tab Bonus reaches $0, then you need to pay it back too.

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/Tab-bonus

What I am saying is, if I pay off my tab balance say tomorrow but plan to stay with Koodo (which I plan to do until the end of the 24 months) and continue to pay down my tab bonus to 0 dollars, can I still switch tomorrow to a better plan (maybe cheaper but same data etc.)  if I am eligible? I am sure self service will tell me if I can or cannot. If I can’t, I won’t pay off my bonus, what’s the point.  If that is not possible, I fully understand.

Userlevel 5

You can change your plan or upgrade a new phone with a remaining Tab balance. However, you will have to pay back the remaining Tab balance left from the time you changed your plan to the time the 24-month period ends, as well as the Tab Bonus. As I explained earlier, this essentially adds up to the “full amount of the device”.

Only after your finish off the Tab balance at the end of 24 months can you make any changes without any penalties to your account. 

I want to get a cheaper plan I'm currently paying $75 a month and I want to pay $45 a month

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I want to get a cheaper plan I'm currently paying $75 a month and I want to pay $45 a month

You can change your plan in self serve to one that is $45

https://www.koodomobile.com/rate-plans