Koodo Community
Question

Cannot buy a phone online????????

• 5 September 2020
  • 13 replies

Hi there, I am getting nearly at my wits end with this company. After getting assistance only from a volunteer from this page, I have moved forward to looking into buying a new phone/contract. However, when I go to the shop page, it says that orders can only be processed in store. When i contacted Koodo through their terrible Facebook messenger “customer service” all they could tell me was that they will not allow me for “security purposes” and that is the only reason. I have a really hard time believing this because if this is the case, why can EVERYONE ELSE buy a phone online, and more importantly, why do they even advertise this as an option? I am trying to avoid going into stores due to the pandemic and would also like to avoid the activation fees as it SO PROUDLY advertises online. My question is, is this the real reason why I cannot buy online, or is there an underlying factor? I find this super hard to believe and I am very disheartened with this service. If there is no viable reason and option to buy online, I will be transferring my services elsewhere because this is just absolutely ridiculous. Thanks to all the volunteers on this website for helping with my previous inquires.

Kelsey

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

When the Facebook reps mentioned “security reasons”, were you asked for a PIN or any other means to verify yourself? Usually that is the reason why they can’t answer personal questions.

The only other thing I think of is that your account is under audit for some reason… but without further information I have no idea really if that is the case or not.

Oh one more possibility is that you are on a limited spending plan, but I believe they would have told you that if that was the case.

Because you are quite right, you should be able to buy a phone otherwise (unless it’s an in-store model only).

Hi,

it wasn't about the security as I went through that process and they were able to help my other  inquiries. I specifically asked the purpose as I found it very hard to believe that it was just due to “security reasons”, but I have enclosed my responses and reply back below in a screencap. What does it mean by auditing my account? I paid off all tab and other balances as confirmed by the agent. thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Did you try to buy a new phone from the account you cancelled? If so, it might be the reason. Once the account is closed, there are a lot of constraints. They normally asked you to open a new account again. Also if you reactivate the old line, there is a 90days wait restriction to add a new phone online. 

I guess you could try to create a new account if you insist doing it online. 

The good news is at the store, from what I head, is they are having a promotion for activation fee as of now (ask a rep there to confirm) so it won't be a big problem if that was the factor prevented to go to a store. 

i am honestly SO confused and need to speak to a real person but havent heard back from anyone when i schedule a callback. My previous issue before was not being able to see any info on my account and only someone on here was able to help me with this (because it was cancelled) and I had to tell them to fix it. This is the reply I got back,

“Sorry, for some reason that message did not show. Okay, it seems the account was cancelled for payment related reasons, but now that we received the payment. We were able to get in touch with the finance department and they resumed the service. You should not be able to log into Self-Serve here “ 

So based from this, I cannot buy a phone? Please help to clarify for me as clearly the company cannot help me with this. thank you again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Plain and simple, Koodo has your account flagged for additional verification due to security reason.  They wont say why or what as it is part of their security process.

Honestly, there are other providers you can go with and with back to school specials happening now I would port to a competitor.  There is no reason to stay with Koodo

ALSO, sorry forgot to mention this, when I open another account, what will happen to my old phone number? Can i no keep it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

“Sorry, for some reason that message did not show. Okay, it seems the account was cancelled for payment related reasons, but now that we received the payment. We were able to get in touch with the finance department and they resumed the service. You should not be able to log into Self-Serve here “ 

So based from this, I cannot buy a phone? Please help to clarify for me as clearly the company cannot help me with this. thank you again.

If your account was canceled due to non-payment reason then yes you would be considered high risk and would want in person verification before allowing a phone

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

ALSO, sorry forgot to mention this, when I open another account, what will happen to my old phone number? Can i no keep it?

Is your old phone number currently active any working?

If you are leaving koodo just keep it active and then you can port to the new carrier.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No, you can’t keep your number, unless you port it out to some prepaid service and then port it back into your new account. But it might be more hassle than it’s worth… is it really that difficult for you to visit a store? According to the rep on Facebook that should cause you no issues… and you’d have the phone right away.

Or, as Dennis suggested, just go with a new provider and start with a clean slate :)

If i do visit the store, will I be able to keep the phone number I have? sorry if this is a stupid question i just am confused.

Its just difficult because of my working hours its hard to make it there in time and I of course dont want to go in the last 30 min in case theres a line up and of course it takes time to get everything up and running when im there. Also, the hours on this website were wrong as I tried to go today but they were already closed and I was really frustrated that they havent updated their hours. thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, I read what the rep said (in your screenshot above) and she confirmed that you can get a phone on your current plan, with your current number. It just needs to be done in store. If you don’t want to leave Koodo, really that sounds like your best (only) option :)

Thank you all for your information its 1000x more helpful than the actual (paid??) representatives. I was skeptical of what the agent said because she clearly could not provide information as to why its security reasoning (like its my account specifically not others). I am wondering, all of you volunteers, do you get paid for this assistance? just out of curiosity because this is so much more helpful than waiting 24 between each communication on the facebook messenger.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you want to keep your old number (which has been cancelled) they might ask you to pay reconnection fee on top of everything else. 

This link might help https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/past-due-bill