Koodo Community
Question

Can't find suitable plans

Our family usage profile is pretty consistent for all of us, but I just can't find any plans that make sense. We tend to be on WiFi at work/school and don't use much data. Nor do we use a lot of minutes. But we (well, the kids) use plenty of SMS.

The basic plans we have now don't offer pay-per-use data add-ons. The only options have crazy things like 60 cents per outgoing SMS, and to get any data included we're at a $50 plan. Data seems to be the cost driver in the plans, but any data included now starts at 4GB at that $50 plan. Multiplied out for the whole family that really gets excessive for us.

My conclusion is that either (a) I'm missing something or (b) Koodo does not want to serve our segment of the market.

While I explore the prepaid options and other providers, I'd welcome any advice. Thanks!

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I believe Telus has family share plans if that's what you're looking for
They have a $15 per-line discount for family plans, but the plans start at $75 per line. The "shareable" data is confusing - it may refer to hotspot/tethering - who knows.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@Ian Williamson There is an promo at our Koodo stores currently that will give you unlimited talk and text nationwide (pay-per-use data only) for only $25 a month. It's not online hence the reason why you wouldn't find it. It is a great deal, I can't tell how much longer it will be available though, given the nature of promos that come and go. Does this help Ian?
@Bernard Koodo Thanks. I'll look into that. It might be like one or two of our current plans. The issue is that it is not "shock-free" and at $15/100MB a person could run up a nasty bill by accident. Are the current promos "Shock-Free"?
Userlevel 4
Another good option is Koodo Prepaid. You can pay for a basic plan and add ad-ons as needed. The ad-ons carry over month to month until they’re used up.
https://www.koodomobile.com/prepaid-plans
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@Ian Williamson Overage rate on that plan is $10/100. And it does protect you from going into a complete shock like a $500 bill might.😀 While indeed data is not blocked (you can do that on your phone) you will receive notification when you start using data. At ten dollars worth of use. Than you can continue or not. That’s a feature other carriers don’t currently provide on talk and text plans.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@Bernard Koodo Thanks. I'll look into that. It might be like one or two of our current plans. The issue is that it is not "shock-free" and at $15/100MB a person could run up a nasty bill by accident. Are the current promos "Shock-Free"?
You could also add a small amount of data or the $2 data block if you are really worried about the $10/100MB charge.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Another vote for prepaid. You get unlimited texting, 250 MB data each month for only $13.50 (with auto top-up). Plus any data/minutes you add carry over indefinitely... Which means individual calls are only 5 cents/minute.

I'd say this plan might be perfect for your children. And did I mention that because it's prepaid, it's shock free by nature? 😊
@Allan M You said "you could also add a small amount of data", however there are no such data add-ons offered in the Self Serve portal. Were you thinking I should see a data add-on as an option?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@Allan M You said "you could also add a small amount of data", however there are no such data add-ons offered in the Self Serve portal. Were you thinking I should see a data add-on as an option?
In store only just like the $25 plan. Should be $2 for 250MB. Ask them about it if/when you visit and see if you can get it. If not you can go the data block route.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Allan M You said "you could also add a small amount of data", however there are no such data add-ons offered in the Self Serve portal. Were you thinking I should see a data add-on as an option?In store only just like the $25 plan. Should be $2 for 250MB. Ask them about it if/when you visit and see if you can get it. If not you can go the data block route.

$2 for 250MB is a great deal.
Otherwise it is $15 for 1GB