Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Can my Koodo card be used on Guatemala or Cuba ?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes. You can roam on Any GSM/UMTP based network around the world. You will pay a lot for roaming without a roaming package, which are pretty expensive still in their own right. Unless you really need your Canadian number, I would suggest looking at getting a local prepaid Sim.
Userlevel 7
Goran wrote:

Yes. You can roam on Any GSM/UMTP based network around the world. You will pay a lot for roaming ...

You can roam as long as... You're not on prepaid Your phone is compatible with the frequencies in the area you're going to. You add international voice roaming to your account Or select a roaming package.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Yes. You can roam on Any GSM/UMTP based network around the world. You will pay a lot for roaming ...

Getting a local SIM in Cuba is not an option.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Generally speaking, your phone is going to be compatible. There aren't many exceptions these days. Just about every nation has a carrier that uses quad band. However, definitely good caveats none the less to point out.

Orly? I had no idea you can't get local SIMs. Certainly explains why everyone seems to get roaming packages when going to Cuba....
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

ETECSA SIM card ownership is restricted to Cuban residents. Rentals are available, but there's no deal to be had vs. roaming (calls to Canada are 1.10 CUC/min). I'm sure that things will change in the near future, but that's how things are for now.