Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Can I use my phone in Taiwan

I have the Nexus 4 with a post paid plan.  I am going to Taiwan for a few days.  Since I am not going to make any calls in Taiwan so no need to get a traveler sim there.  I am wondering if I could make call and text home over there with the Koodo sim just in case I have to.  Thanks.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello there.

If you want to stay with Koodo and do not want to unlock the only option are add-ons which can be found here

Here's what they include

[b]IMPORTANT reminder! It is very important to add the add-on before arrival and also add these: International voice roaming 0$ and international data roaming 0$ (if you want to use your mobile data)! Everything can be done easily via your Account Self-Service http://koo.do/1dwzwBg. Have a nice trip!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Hello there.

If you want to stay with Koodo and do not want to unlock the only option are&n...

Otherwise the pay-per-use rates are:
Voice - $2.50 per min
Data - $10.00 pe MB
Texts - $0.60/texts (outgoing) Free Incoming texts

Userlevel 6
Robert wrote:

Hello there.

If you want to stay with Koodo and do not want to unlock the only option are&n...

Thanks Dennis I was never sure on the overage rate.
$10,000 dollars a GB good to know! 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Hello there.

I would stay in Taiwan if I racked up $10,000 in data charges lol
Robert wrote:

Hello there.

Thanks, so if i wanted to, I can call home at $2.50/min in Taiwan and send a text home at $.60/text but it is free for family to text me at my Koodo number?  Is that right?  Thanks again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Hello there.

If Koodo warns you or cuts you off after $100 in data overage charges, you probably won't even get the chance to check their warning email if it includes any attachments!

Family members in Canada will be charged the exact same rate as if you were still at home. Whether they can normally text or call you for free or have to pay a long distance toll for calls, nothing has changed for them $$$ wherever you may be.
Userlevel 3
Robert wrote:

Hello there.

Just to add, your phone comes factory unlocked so it will be cheaper to purchase a prepaid SIM in Taiwan and get a local number.
Robert wrote:

Hello there.

My plan has no data and I have it blocked so no worries about that.  In any case not there for pleasure and it is a short trip so may not even need the phone turn on.