Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Calling England

I was attempting to call England but was not able to complete the call. I was able to receive a call from that same number but not make the call. Do I need a special add on for making international calls? Traveling soon and need an answer.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Did you add the country code? I think it's 011-44 for the UK. Also if you call internationally a lot, I recommend getting the LD saver add on for $3/month then you can call the UK for 5 cents/ min. Keep in mind this is only for calls that originate from canada. http://help.koodomobile.com/coverage-long-distance-and-travelling/long-distance If you're travelling internationally you'll need to go by the roaming rates which can be found here http://help.koodomobile.com/coverage-long-distance-and-travelling/travelling However I recommend getting your phone unlocked and getting a prepaid sim from the country you are travelling to. Just make sure your phone supports the correct network frequencies of the carrier. You should probably do a bit of research beforehand of prepaid sim plans in the country you are travelling to, just so you don't run into any trouble while you're there. Have a great trip 🙂
Userlevel 1
I think you need the "International Dialing" add-on to call internationally from Canada. I don't think it costs much (unless you use it and call overseas), it's always been pretty much standard practice for carriers to prevent calling internationally from a cell phone unless you notify them of a need to do so. Of course you say you are traveling soon so that's a whole different situation. For very light use, Koodo's roaming will do at $2.50/minute + long distance. For anything beyond very little use you are better off to unlock the phone and use a SIM from a carrier at the destination.
Userlevel 7
Steve wrote:

I think you need the "International Dialing" add-on to call internationally from Canada. I don't...

Steve, you no longer need an add-on to call internationally, check in 'need to call internationally' in the FAQ 🙂 but for the rest, I completely agree.
Userlevel 1
Steve wrote:

I think you need the "International Dialing" add-on to call internationally from Canada. I don't...

I didn't know that had changed, thanks! I guess when they got rid of AMPS and it's not so easy to clone a phone they don't have to be so careful about that anymore. Back in the AMPS days, people were picking of ESNs and phone numbers right out of the air, making clones with that little information and then making lots of overseas calls with the cloned phones (until the owner got the bill).