Koodo Community
Solved

BYOD promotion plan for $50 for 9gb but have to be new activation and phone upgrades only?

• 15 September 2020
  • 22 replies

this plan is pretty misleading in the BYOD section where you can select the $50 per month deal for the 9gb data and unlimited calls/messages, however, you need to be a new activation and phone upgrades only.

How does “phone upgrades only” apply to a Bring Your Own Device plan?? that’s the point of the BYOD is specifically that… to bring your own device and select a plan of your choosing.

Why would i need to upgrade my phone? that defeats the purpose of a BYOD.

icon

Best answer by Dennis 16 September 2020, 22:58

hi Dennis,

If this thread message is this long without any answers then there's an issue cause the plan is confusing. 

Also, you can't have s byod and do a TAB or upgrade. What would be the point of bringing your own device then? This plan is wrongly worded. Can't be both byod and tab lol you already paid for your phone and want to bring it to use with a plan offered. If I wanted a new phone I'd just get an upgrade or buy out a phone. 

Yes i agree.  It is confusing the way they have it.  They really shouldnt include the phone upgrade part for the No Tab plans.

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Is that plan a specific offer for you?

no it is on their website:

Specifically in their BYOD section. have a look for yourself. 

https://www.koodomobile.com/rate-plans?INTCMP=KMNew_NavMenu_Shop_Plans

Userlevel 7

The promotion does state For new activations and phone upgrades only. 

If you are a new customer and you want to BYOD, you can talk to a koodo support rep and point out the misleading part of the above noted line. I am sure that they will accommodate you as a new customer. If you are not a new customer, this promotion is not applicable to you. 

Hi nim4165,

I totally agree with you as to what the promotion states. However, the promotion is therefore under the wrong section and misleading under the BYOD section.

The “+applicable monthly tab charge” and the “phone upgrade” part should only apply to those who are new customers, who have no phone and would like to purchase a new phone and start a “Tab” and/or those who wish to upgrade their current phones.

However, in the BYOD, it makes no sense to upgrade your phone when specifically under their own section on their own website states, in bold green background with white font “Bring Your Own Device… You pay only for your monthly plan when you bring your device….. Plans starting from $30/month”

As per me, I would be a new customer for Koodo and I want to bring in my own device (Samsung S10). 

I have spoken with their reps and they specifically said to me they cannot do anything about it.

Userlevel 7

I am wondering if one of the official reps that ‘shadow’ the Koodo community blog can help you to get this promotion (as an exception) with BYOD.  This is clearly a misleading/erroneous advertising and tkoodo should take responsibility (and move it where it belongs) and let you BYOD.

i welcome any opportunity to speak to any Koodo rep that can assist me. If a positive and successful conversation happens, I will be willing to switch from my current provider and join Koodo for this particular promotion.

and i definitely agree with you that they should move this particular promotion to the specific section it belongs in and remove it out of the BYOD section as it is misleading. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Depending on your province, you have different deals. That’s why I didn’t see it. You’re saying it does feature for new activations. Therefore, if you’re coming from another carrier, it should qualify under new activation. Is it something I’m not getting right? Why wouldn’t you be eligible? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I would suggest you send message to Koodo facebook https://www.facebook.com/Koodo and chat with a rep there. Hopefully they can help  you.

Hi Robert,

I live in Ontario and i am looking at their website, specifically under their BYOD section.

In their BYOD section, for one of their current promotions it states “$50/month for 9GB, unlimited calls/messages”. When you select that option (which is the one i want) it opens up a side window to provide you with further details about this specific plan. Within the side pop-up window it states the following (below has been literally copied and pasted from their website. no additional edits have been made to the wording):

$50 per month+ applicable monthly tab charge

9 GB of Shock-Free™ data.1,2

Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes

Unlimited messaging (text & picture)3

Call Display, Voicemail, Call Waiting and Conference Calling

Additional data $10/100 MB$40 connection fee (including SIM card) applies when purchased in store$0 connection fee (including SIM card) when you order online!

For new activations and phone upgrades only.

As you can see above, Robert, specifically where it states “+ applicable monthly tab charge” and at the bottom “For new activations and phone upgrades only”. My issue specifically lies with the tab charge and phone upgrade part which contradicts the BYOD section of their own website and/or advertisement.

Why would someone, coming new to Koodo, wanting to bring their own mobile device have to upgrade when specifically on Koodo’s own website states “Bring Your Own Device… You pay only for your monthly plan when you bring your device….. Plans starting from $30/month”. 

Hi Dinh,

thanks for your message, however, i do not use Facebook. however, if there is a another method to speak to a rep i am all for it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi Dinh,

thanks for your message, however, i do not use Facebook. however, if there is a another method to speak to a rep i am all for it.

I would suggest you create one in less than 1 minute and delete it later.. Koodo social media team normally have more experience and can assist you better.

If you insist on calling, you can try to chat with their digital assistant www.koodo.com/chat and schedule a callback.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

My issue specifically lies with the tab charge and phone upgrade part which contradicts the BYOD section of their own website and/or advertisement.

Why would someone, coming new to Koodo, wanting to bring their own mobile device have to upgrade when specifically on Koodo’s own website states “Bring Your Own Device… You pay only for your monthly plan when you bring your device….. Plans starting from $30/month”. 

I guess they put this in place because this plan is offered for either BYOD or people who purchase the phone on tab. Therefore if you’re BYOD it’s +0$/month applicable tab balance.

I guess it has something to do with how the store works. You want to have only one plan offered for people that BYOD and do upgrades and not one for each of them. Therefore the description of the plan applies for both people.

Hi Robert,

I am sorry, I do not follow you. The website has 2 sections for people. One is a Tab based plan where you can purchase phones and put a tab onto your plan. And the other section is a BYOD plan for those who have their own phones. It cannot be Tab AND BYOD. it makes no sense to pay for a tab when you have already owned the phone and are bringing to them. that would be like paying twice for the same phone which you already own therefore not a BYOD. Cannot mix the two plans into 1.   

The 2 sections must be Tab OR BYOD, not TAB AND BYOD. 

if the average/regular user, like me and you and others, are having a difficulty understanding the basic concept of what the plan is offering and is confusing (since you wrote “I guess” twice in your last reply), therefore the plan in it of itself has a flaw and makes no sense and is confusing for us to understand. it would need to be amended and/or removed.  

Hi Dinh,

I would suggest you create one in less than 1 minute and delete it later.. Koodo social media team normally have more experience and can assist you better.

If you insist on calling, you can try to chat with their digital assistant www.koodo.com/chat and schedule a callback.

ok i will try this approach. thanks for your help, Dinh.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

“My issue specifically lies with the tab charge and phone upgrade part which contradicts the BYOD section of their own website and/or advertisement.”

This happens a lot especially when new promo starts or new plans are introduced. They must just copy paste those lines.  Same with you might see “ Includes Unlimited/Free evenings& weekends’ on Unlimited minutes plans.  Sometimes we MMs pointed out about those, and they fix/ adjust lines when they think it needed. (I guess its depends on how priority it is than other issues.)

“My issue specifically lies with the tab charge and phone upgrade part which contradicts the BYOD section of their own website and/or advertisement.”

This happens a lot especially when new promo starts or new plans are introduced. They must just copy paste those lines.  Same with you might see “ Includes Unlimited/Free evenings& weekends’ on Unlimited minutes plans.  Sometimes we MMs pointed out about those, and they fix/ adjust lines when they think it needed. (I guess its depends on how priority it is than other issues.)

that could be a possibility. mistakes happen and we are all human. perhaps they may amend the deal or leave it as is. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

that could be a possibility. mistakes happen and we are all human. perhaps they may amend the deal or leave it as is. 

I noticed this as well.  Likely its because the copied and paste the plan details for all the tab options.

But what it says in the plan details is not actually incorrect, it is just confusing.  

I noticed this as well.  Likely its because the copied and paste the plan details for all the tab options.

But what it says in the plan details is not actually incorrect, it is just confusing.  

hi Dennis,

If this thread message is this long without any answers then there's an issue cause the plan is confusing. 

Also, you can't have s byod and do a TAB or upgrade. What would be the point of bringing your own device then? This plan is wrongly worded. Can't be both byod and tab lol you already paid for your phone and want to bring it to use with a plan offered. If I wanted a new phone I'd just get an upgrade or buy out a phone. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

hi Dennis,

Yes i agree.  It is confusing the way they have it.  They really shouldnt include the phone upgrade part for the No Tab plans.

What dishonest misleading promotion.  I just got this plan 1 month ago for less data and I can’t switch to this plan.  My phone is only a year old and I don’t want to take out a mortgage to buy another cheaply made over priced phone with ongoing glitches made by slave labour.  This is another reason why Canadians hate their cell phone providers as they screw us left and right charging us the highest rates in the world.

There seems to be no motivation to for rewarding long term customers.  BTW another dog competitor is offering the same plans, so if you jump ship you get the same thing. What a crock. You need a phone, as most of us don’t have land lines anymore, so owning a cell phone is a love hate relationship, you want to dump the old $%#@ but your options are to go to another abusive relationship.  Canadians will likely be the only country to have a revolution over cell phone plans. What  greedy bunch of @$$h@l$.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It's quite typical to have promotions to entice customers and rely on brand loyalty to keep people. Typically it's 14 days to be able to get onto a promo if you did it early. You can't switch without getting a phone on tab anyways for Koodo. You could probably get a preowned for cheap and sell it yourself for the same price or even just upgrade. The galaxy a51 or Huawei p30 lites for 4 bucks a month / 96 dollars plus tax total are incredible value.

Indeed. Best you can do is to help lobby for change. Otherwise it is what it is. At least if you switch you don't have to get a phone on tab if you're happy with the phone that you have now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

What dishonest misleading promotion.  I just got this plan 1 month ago for less data and I can’t switch to this plan.  My phone is only a year old and …

I’m confused.  You got BYOD plan a month ago, and your phone is only a year old. It was as a new activation, correct?
Which BYOD plan did you get a month ago?   I believe  those extra/bonus data plans were there over a month now. You could get promo plan as a new activation.